Chapter 22 - Tobias

A/N:  I would just like to take a moment to say thank you to everyone that has read, voted, shared, followed, or commented.  Your support and words means so much to me.  It helps fuel my desire to make my story the best that I think it can be.  Thank you again. 

The sound of my knuckles hitting the punching bag has always been soothing in a way. The ability to focus all my frustration to a central point, attempting to beat it to a pulp has helped when I felt like I couldn't control a situation. Zeke got me into the habit when we were teenagers, and Amar refined my technique and focus so I actually felt like I accomplished something when I was done.

I have to meet Tris' family tomorrow for Thanksgiving. I've wanted to just be able to talk to Tris for more than a few minutes at a time about tomorrow, but it's been difficult since she's been working more recently. It feels like ever since Amar and George have been here, we've hardly had any time to ourselves. Not that I minded. They have done so much for me that I would have offered them my place again. But when they finally went back to Chicago last week, I was a little more than relieved to have my apartment back to myself.

I've never really had to do this meeting of the family thing. Of the few girlfriends I've had, we never got that far, and Nita's parents' had passed away years ago, so this is completely new territory to me. I really don't know what to expect or do tomorrow. I've researched as much as I can on the subject, but most of the information out there is pretty vague and most I already knew. Amar and George tried giving me advice, but at the time when they went to their parents, trying to make a good impression was the least of their worries.

Tris keeps telling me that her parents really aren't that bad. If anyone has anything to worry about it's probably her. Her mother has been known to break out embarrassing pictures of when she was in that awkward phase as a youth.

I sigh, and continuing punching the bag. I just need to stay calm. Everything will work out. I just need to make a good enough impression so I can pull Tris' father aside and talk to him. I've been wanting to speak with him for a while now, but I wanted to be introduced to him by Tris first.

**********

Tris opens the door in a rush. Her dark red sweater, black skirt, and boots are making it very difficult to remember why I can't run my hands all over her right now. "Come on in Tobias. I'm almost done with the potatoes and the cake is in the fridge. I shouldn't be much longer." Tris turns toward the kitchen, then stops, turning to me again. She smiles, giving me a quick kiss. "You look handsome by the way." Then she jogs back into the kitchen.

I laugh walking into the living room, closing the door behind me. I look around and realize someone is missing. "Where's Zoe?"

"Oh, Mom came and picked her up a little while ago. Zoe wanted to help make dinner today." She continues stirring the contents of her pan.

I smile, walking toward her. "So we have the house to ourselves for the moment then?"

She turns to me smiling, though a slight blush colors her cheeks, "We don't have that long Tobias." Then returns her attention back to what she's cooking.

I reach her, placing my hands on her waist, getting close to her ear, "Do you need some help?"

She leans into me, and turns so that she can look at me. God her eyes are gorgeous. "Sure."

"I'm not very good at this though, you'll have to show me."

She hands me the spoon, but places her hand on top of mine, placing it back in the pan. "You have to keep stirring so they don't burn, but not so often that they don't cook at all." She continues giving instructions before having me finally pour the finished contents of the pan into a glass bowl. She takes the bowl toward the table, and my eyes can't help but take in the way her hips sway when she walks.