Chapter 3 - Four

I look in the mirror, my long fingers gripping the sink. My image appears distorted from where I punched it so hard earlier. I sigh and look down at my right hand. Even though I bandaged it several hours ago, I see that blood has started to seep through the white gauze. I sigh and close my eyes hoping for some kind of relief from chaos that seems to have taken over in my head, but the day's events just start to replay again making the turmoil that much worse. Where did everything go so wrong?

My team and I had just finished giving our presentation to Amar in the conference room. We had been working on the new software for a client, and we needed to present it to Amar before he could take it to the client. It had taken us nearly five months to get to today, but it was finally done. The program had been tedious given that I expected nothing less than perfection, not only from my team, but myself as their team leader. It had been worth it though to see the look on Amar's face.

"You guys have done an amazing job, and managed to finish three weeks ahead of schedule no less." He paused looking at everyone around the table, thinking. "Why don't you guys take the rest of the day off? In fact, make it a long weekend and I'll see you Tuesday." A cheer went up around the room. Everyone thanked Amar, and before he could change his mind, they were out the door.

I chuckle to myself. Not only are they probably scared Amar might change his mind, but are probably more scared I might hold them back to check the program one last time.

"Four?"

"Yeah? What's up?"

"Can I see you in my office before you leave?"

"Sure. I'll be there as soon as I finish cleaning up."

I pack up the last few remnants of what I brought, and start throwing away the various cups, napkins, and wrappers people have left. Even though my cleaning habit comes in handy when no one is willing to help, I don't like the circumstances of where I got it. My father quite literally beat it into me every day as a kid. The beatings were worse if I failed to complete any of the tasks he had set before me. Once I'm finished, I walk over to Amar's office and knock.

"Please sit down Four." I take a seat in front of his desk and wait to see what he wants to talk to me about.

"You really did an excellent job with your team. I couldn't be more pleased with how things look. With any luck, we should be able to present it to our client in about a month, assuming all goes well with testing. I'm proud of you Four." He says this with a just a small smile playing on his face. It makes my chest swell knowing I've made him proud. He has been more of a father to me than my own, and an incredible mentor as well. He is one of the few that know of my demons, and didn't offer me pity, but a way to fight back.

"Thank you." I pause as I realize he didn't have me come in here just to say he was proud, even though I appreciate it. "There's a 'but' isn't there?"

"Not exactly. More like a proposition."

I lean back in my chair and wait for what Amar has to say. He steeples his fingers before he continues, "Four, you've done so well here. You have become one of the few people I can trust to run things and I know it will get done." I'm not sure where this is going, so I continue to wait.

"As you know, two years ago, the company launched our sister site in Atlanta. While they are delivering the required programs to clients, the problem is, they aren't performing to the standards that we expect. So I would like to propose, if you are willing, to relocate you to Atlanta to see if you can improve our team there." He pauses to look at me, I'm at a loss for words, but before I can respond he adds, "Of course we would be helping you relocate and your current salary would be increased by 20% given your increased responsibilities."