Getting Weaker

Miranda's pov

We were at the doctor to see how bad the cancer is. He's too scared by the results to speak. "Spit it out doc!" Jason shouts, shakily. I rest a hand on his leg. "Calm down." I say, gently. Sam runs in. "Oh my goodness, it's true." She whispers, staring at us shocked. Tears fill my eyes. Jason stands up and hugs her. "Yeah it's true but she'll be okay." He says. He shouldn't say that. He doesn't know that. "It's stage three cancer. If you don't start chemo, you won't be okay." The doctor finally says. "Ok that's it, I'm putting my foot down. You're starting your treatments." Jason says, turning around. I stand up. "That isn't happening! I'm gonna go to my grave knowing I did what was right for my family. For my son! I am not gonna do something that could and will kill him!" "Please baby listen to the doctor!" He gasps, desperately. "I'm sorry, Jason, I just can't do that." I whisper, tears rolling down my face. He walks over and envelopes me in a tight hug. "I'm gonna love ya through it." He whispers. "I love you Jaaon. I'm so sorry."

*later*

I lay down to rest, a hand on my stomach. Jason is gonna be so happy when he gets here even if it causes me to die. He'll have his little boy. "Timothy." I hear Jason say in the doorway. I turn to look at him. "What?" "Timothy. I'd like to name him that." I smile. "I love it Jason." He lays beside me. "I'm sorry for getting hysterical at the doctor's." He says. "There's no reason for you to be sorry." I say, surprised. "Yes there is. It's your body. You make the decisions and all. And I made you cry from yelling." "No you didn't I was already about to cry from the fear of it all." I turn on my side and he pulls me to his chest where I cry softly. I don't want to leave him. Or Timothy. Or Sam. "Jason," I whisper, looking up at him. "I don't wanna die. I don't wanna leave you again." I can see tears in his eyes too. "You'll always be my little girl." He says, gently kissing my forehead.

*the next day*

"Mornin' darlin'." I force my eyes open. He smiles and hands me McDonalds breakfast, my favorite food both pregnant and not. "Oh Jason, you know just how to get to me." I say, smiling. I eat the food and lay in the comfort of my husband's arms. "When Timothy does get here, who do you think he'll look like?" I whisper, a hand against his chest. "I hope he looks like you. I hope he fights like me." I smile up at him. "You never gave up." He smiles too and kisses me. "And I never will."

*a few months later*

The cancer has taken a lot out of me. I can't get up much anymore. I've been stuck in bed for three days straight now. Jason walks into the room. I force a weak pain filled smile. "How was the studio?" I ask. He smiles. "Fine. What do ya want me to play today?" That's been our thing, whenever he finishes what he has to do for the day, he plays me music. I stare at the ceiling. "When I get where I'm going by Brad and Dolly." I say, closing my eyes. I suck in a breath as another bout of pain shoots through me. My hands tighten around the blankets. "When I get where I'm going on the far side of the sky the first thing that I'm gonna do is spread my wings and fly. I'm gonna land beside a lion, run my fingers through his mane or I might find out what it's like to ride a drop of rain." He closes his eyes to sing and I whisper sing the song along with him. Then I hear the front door open and close. Sam must've gotten off work early. She walks upstairs and smiles. "Hey darlin'." Jason says, hugging her. "Hey mama." She says, hugging me. I smile. "How's it going sweety?" I ask. "Great. Eric built a beautiful deck for our backyard. Maybe you could come see it one of these days."

Jason's pov

"I'd love to baby girl. I loved the song today, Jay." "Thank Brad and Dolly. I just copied them." I mumble, shrugging. She's seven months along now. She's also gone five months with cancer and no treatments. She's getting weaker by the day. Sam and I both know it. I don't know if she does or not. "Hey baby, how about we go today. I'll help ya up." She smiles, weakly. "That'd be great."

*a few hours later*

We were relaxing on the deck. Eric was grilling. I had a beer in my hand but I wasn't drinking. Just thinking and watching the girl I love die right before my eyes. "Hey Mrs. Aldean, how do you like your steak?" She glances over at him. "Silly just call me Miranda. How many times do I have to say that?" He laughs nervously, looking at her sadly. "Sorry ma'am." "And well done, please. "Comin' right up." He tips his hat and turns back to the grill. I look back at her and she's sweaty. "Hey lemme move ya to the shade, this sun's beatin' down on ya." She wipes the sweat off her face. "Yeah this heat is unbearable." I move her to the shade and move my chair beside hers. "There. That better?" "A lot. Thanks." I smile and kiss her head. "No problem." Eric finishes the steaks and we eat dinner. Then the kids go inside. We stay on the deck as the stars start to come out. "If it comes to it." She whispers. I glance at her. "What do ya mean baby?" "If it comes to it, I don't wanna be on life support. If I'm not there anymore, please Jason, pull the plug." My blood runs cold as sweat breaks out on my forehead. "I-It won't come to that sweetheart." "But if it does, you have to promise me." I fight back the tears. "I promise." I whisper, kissing her gently on the forehead.