Playing Doctor

Jason's pov

Finally she's back in my arms. Safe, happy, and not wanting to slap me every five seconds. "I missed you baby girl." I whisper, kissing her neck. "I'm sorry I gave you such a hard time. Ever since..... It all happened.... I haven't been very good at trusting people." "You do believe me though right, you need to know I would've come back if I knew." "I... I do believe you. I was just mad... I promise I'm not mad anymore." Her words make me so happy. "You don't know how happy that makes me babe." I say, kissing her again. "I love you Jason." "I love you too sweet girl." "What happened though?" "With what?" "Out in the hallway, before you found us." "Oh that, well..." I mumble, rubbing my head. "Let's just say that guy sure knew how to weild a shovel as a weapon." "What did he do to you?" "Baby let's not talk about it. Let's just forget about it and go to bed." "Ok." I turn the lamp off and we do just that, go to bed I mean.

*the next day*

I have to get this broken rib fixed. I kiss her goodbye and head to the doctor's office. I sign in and pull my hat lower on my head, concealing my eyes. The harsh light is giving me a headache. It's not working so I close my eyes and not meaning to fall asleep.

*in the dream*

I'm running through the stone building again, breathing hard. The hallway is much longer than I remember. I call for her but hear nothing but my heart pounding and the blood rushing to my ears along with my ragged breathing. "Where are you!?" I cry, throwing a door open. Nothing. I hear a scream and run down there but by the time I find the right room, she's dead. Her throat ripped open!

*he wakes up*

I scream and wake up, my breathing as rapid and terrified as in the dream. Sweat pours down my face, the saltiness stinging the cut on my cheek. Note to self. Don't fall asleep. I take my hat off, staring at the ceiling, trying to stop my panicked heart. I have to call her otherwise I won't feel good about it. I dial her number

Miranda's pov

My phone rings. "Hey." I hear Jason sigh in relief. "What's wrong?" I ask. "N-Nothing, I just had to hear your voice." "Jason, what happened? You sound scared." "J-Just a nightmare babe. I'm fine. I just had to make sure you were fine.... After that horrible dream I just had." "Yeah we're both okay." "I figured you were." "Ok bye." "See ya later." "Oh and Jason...." "Yeah?" "Love you." "Love you so much darlin'."

Jason's pov

I take a deep breath. Nothing to worry about. The psycho is dead. I made sure of it. I killed him. I almost have a heart attack when they call my name. I go back there and the doctor does the usual stuff, blood pressure, heartbeat, temperature, height and weight. He looks at the blood pressure thing with a surprised look. "What's up doc?" I ask. "You're blood pressure and heart rate is up way high. Have you ever had problems with high blood pressure?" "Um well not that I know of. My heartbeat's probably fast cause I fell asleep and had a bad nightmare in the waiting room." I mumble a little embarrassed to tell a doctor I'm having nightmares. "No, it wouldn't be that.... It would've gone back to normal after the first few minutes..." He looks like he's thinking hard. "I'm fine man, I just came to get my rib fixed. I got hit with a shovel and it's been hurting like crazy." "What happened?" He asks, resting his hands on my side to check on the rib. I suck in a breath since it hurts. "Trust me, ya don't want to know." I mutter. "Yeah you got a busted rib alright. This is gonna hurt real bad and then it'll feel better. You ready?" "I guess so." He jerks his hands and I bite my tongue holding back a scream. "Damn, you weren't kidding!" He shakes his head. "Now take it easy for a few days and that should heal right up." I get down. "Thanks doc." "Anytime. Oh and Jason, your arm is bleeding like a lot!" He says, pointing. Oh yeah the bullet wound, I forgot all about it. "Roll your sleeve up." He orders. I sigh. "It's on my shoulder. I'm gonna have to take my shirt off and I'd rather not do that." "Jason what happened to you?" He asks, crossing his arms. "I got in a fight with a guy is all. He kidnapped my girlfriend and daughter and I had to kick his ass." "Take off your shirt." He orders. I sigh and unbutton the buttons, wincing in pain. I slip my arm out just enough so he can see it. "Why didn't you tell me you got shot!?" He cries. "I'm fine. It only hurts a little." He taps my shoulder with his fingers and this time I do scream in pain. "A little huh?" "Okay a lot. But I can handle it. I've been shot before." He shakes his head and gets alcohol and a cotton ball. I back up. "Oh no you don't. That stuff's gonna burn like a motherfucker!" "You have to clean it. Otherwise it could get infected!" "I can do it at home and after I've had a few beers in me!" He sighs. "Fine but if that doest get better by like 2 weeks come back and see me." I nod and rebutton my shirt. I walk out and pay the bill then head home. Exhaustion overcomes me and I fall asleep on the couch.

Miranda's pov

I sit beside Jason as he sleeps on the couch. His forehead glistens with sweat. I hope he's okay. His eyes shut tight for a second and he mumbles, turning his head. I think he's having another nightmare. "Hey Jason honey, wake up!" I gasp, shaking his arm. His eyes flash open quickly panicked. He shakes his head. "Are you okay?" "Y-Yeah just another bad dream." He mumbles, standing up. "What are you doing now?" I ask. He grabs a beer. "I've gotta clean my shoulder." "Why didn't you get that done at the doctor's?" I ask, stumped. "I didn't want him to do it." He says, downing the first beer in one gulp and moving onto another one. "You stubborn ass redneck." I say, shaking my head and smiling. He smiles too. "Yeah but I'm your stubborn ass redneck." He says, wrapping an arm around my waist and kissing me. He then gets the alcohol and a washcloth. "This is gonna hurt." He mutters, taking off his shirt button down shirt. "Hey babe, can you grab me a sleeveless T-shirt?" "Sure." I run upstairs and grab one and as I'm walking out of the bedroom door I hear him scream in pain. He must've poured the alcohol. I walk back into the kitchen where he lets out a string of swear words. He dabs at the wound with the washcloth. "You want me to do that?" I ask. He sighs and hands me the washcloth.

Jason's pov

I should have had another 3 beers, numbed my senses of feeling. "Jason there's no exit wound." She says, touching my shoulder, making me wince. "Yeah so?" "So... There's still a bullet in your shoulder!" Oh crap. I never even thought about that. "We're gonna have to get that out." She says, catching me off guard. My eyes go wide and I look back at her. "What do you mean.... We?" "Well, it's not like you can do it!" She gasps, laughing. "No. You aren't are you?" "Of course not, we should make an appointment at the hospital though." I breathe a relived sigh. "Sure thing. I'll uh do that tomorrow." She bandages my shoulder and I put the sleeveless shirt on. "Thanks babe. I like it when you play doctor with me." She laughs. "Do you want me to kiss your boo boo too?" She teases. I smile. "I sure wouldn't say no." I flirt, kissing her softly.