Chapter 16

•Shadow•

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Are you hurt?"

"Nah... It'll just leave a bruise. Hey... Don't cry, faker. You're such a baby sometimes!"

Shadow crossed his arms and stared at Sonic, who was crying on the ground. "I didn't hurt you?" He looked up at Shadow. "For the last time, no! You're too weak to hurt me! Now come on, let's try that move again. If we wanna grow up rich quick, we gotta be fast and skilled!"

Sonic wiped his snot and tears away then nodded with a smile at Shadow. "Yeah!"

Shadow got into fighting stance and demonstrated the moves for Sonic to follow. "Watch carefully, no holding back!"

Sonic nodded and tried to do the same move on Shadow. "Nice, good job! You'll be a pro in no time, faker!" Shadow smiled at him proudly. Sonic smiled back at him, his eyes sparkling with admiration.

At the end of training, Sonic tugged on Shadows arm. "Hrm? What is it?"

"We'll always be best friends, right Shadz?"

"...Yeah, always."

-9 years later-

"Sonic killed the guard, I was shocked at what he had done. I thought he said a simple in and out, but apparently, he had something different in mind. Ever since that day he's been bloodthirsty." Shadow told the judge. The judge narrowed his eyes.

"Would you say Sonic was the leader of your group?" His lawyer asked him.

"Yes."

"And would you say Sonic was malicious?"

"Yes."

"Did he ever show mercy? Would you say he lost his humanity?"

"He never showed mercy, and he most definitely has lost his humanity."

Shadows lawyer smiled and made eye contact with the jury. "Shadow has vowed to not lie. He showed no hesitation in his answers. Sonic, is the true criminal here! I beg he be sent away for the killings and never see the light again! Stand with me, jury."

As Shadows lawyer talked, Shadow felt his heart racing. "I'm so sorry, Sonic. I just can't stay in that place for life."

-5 months later-

Sonic was punching Shadow as a huge crowd of prisoners surrounded them in a fight circle. Everyone was chanting or yelling at them.

"You LIAR! I thought you said we would stick together?!" Sonic cried as he punched Shadow again, and again. "You thought wrong! I have no friends! I look out for me and only me!" Shadow kicked Sonic in the stomach and pushed him off of himself.

Sonic was still fighting, tears streaming down his face. "I hate you! You liar! I'm going to kill you! I don't deserve my sentence! I don't deserve to be here for life! Why do you get 25 years! You can still get a life! You-You-"

Shadow threw one punch at Sonic and caused his to go flying to the edge of the fight circle.

"...You bastard, I promise I won't forgive you." Sonic hissed and wiped his blood away. The guards finally made his threw the circle and made everyone leave the scene. Shadow turned his back as they picked up Sonic to take him to the infirmary.

-Present day-

Shadow opened his eyes slowly and tried to move his arms, but found both were in casts. He tried to sit up, but it hurt to move. He couldn't feel his right leg, he guessed it was also in a cast.

He sighed and stared at the ceiling of what he was guessing was a hospital. He wasn't thinking exactly, but he was taking it all in. If this was the last room on the outside he'd ever see for 19 more years, he wanted to remember it.

"Ah, look who's awake!" Said an unfamiliar voice. "Good afternoon, Shadow. How are you feeling?"

"I can't." Shadow responded

"Can't what?"

"I can't feel. Everything is either numb or hurts too much." He explained irritably. "Well I'll get you some medicine. Would you like your bed to be sat up?"

Shadow nodded, but kept an emotionless expression. "Just tell me when to stop."

The noise of the bed inclining was so annoying. Shadow told the man, most likely the nurse or doctor, to stop as soon as he got to a tolerable place.

"Thank you."

"No problem, Shadow. You have a visitor, by the way. Would you like to see her?"

Shadow nodded, excepting it to be Maria. He was wrong.

Amy walked in with a young fox boy. "Hi, Shadow." She said, forcing herself to sound brace. Shadow remained silent, still emotionless. "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry; that it had to end this way. I brought a basket of the flowers I grow at my shop. Sonic said you liked Bat Orchids and Night Tulips." Amy pulled out a basket and sat the flowers down beside his bed.

"I just thought that... You should get a something. Well... I suppose this is goodb-"

"Tell Sonic that it was a good fight for me, please? Tell him that I'm proud he beat me. I don't deserve to here, so I suppose this is my punishment. So, please tell him." Shadow asked Amy, not making eye contact with her as he stared at the ceiling.

"I will, Shadow. I'll make sure he knows." Amy smiled at him. Shadow heard the door close, then it immediately opened again and he heard a loud frightened gasp. "Shadow!" Maria said and ran to his side.

"Hey Maria," he said. "Are you feeling any better?" She asking him worriedly. "I'll be fine. It was barely a scrape." He let out a slight grin and turned to see Maria's dazzling blue eyes, they were watery, almost ready for tears to escape. "Don't cry, alright?" He smiled at her. "At least I'll get to see more of you, right?"

Maria nodded, but her tears kept falling from her eyes. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry this happened. I should've stayed on the communicator and sent the guards earlier."

Shadow shook his head, which surprisingly hurt. "You did your job, Maria. Just stop crying, alright?" He smiled at her. Maria wiped her tears away, trying to force a smile on her face. She leaned over and gave Shadow a quick kiss on his cheek, "alright."