Chapter 5

•Prison•

Maria rushed outside to the courtyard, followed by two guards. "I-I need Shadow The Hedgehog!" She announced to the yard. She was nervous being this close to such dangerous people.

"What do you need me for?" Came a deep voice. Maria looked down at the small hedgehog. "Sorry to disturb your day, but the boss would like to see you." Maria explained to him. Shadow rolled his eyes. "Fine, lets get this over with." Shadow walked beside Maria on the way inside. They all walked in silence for a few minutes.

"So... Uhm... You look like a really good person. Why are you here?" Maria asked Shadow nervously. Shadow grinned and let out a tiny laugh. "I was sent here with an old partner of mine. Once we got here, we had a big brawl in the yard and split up." Maria blinked, this hedgehog didn't look evil or dangerous. A sense of safety washed over her. "Oh, I hadn't heard about that."

"Be glad you didn't."

The silence quickly returned. As soon as they walked inside, Maria dismissed the guards. "Thank you for protection." She said to them, then she and Shadow were alone, walking through the halls.

"Why'd you ditch them?" Shadow asked her. "I didn't need them anymore. Plus, I don't think you'd hurt me." Maria smiled at him.

Shadow looked away from her

Shadow looked away from her. He hadn't seen such a gentle and kind smile like that in ages. "What'd you say your name was?" He asked her. "My name? Oh, it's Maria Robotnik. I'm the Doctors granddaughter." Shadow simply nodded. "We're almost up to his room." Maria told him.

Shadow looked outside the window they were passing to the courtyard. (You could see the courtyard from basically everywhere). Maria stopped and looked outside. Shadow stopped beside her.

"I wish I were able to go outside more." Maria finally said outloud. "Why can't you?" Shadow asked her, looking up to meet her eyes. "I'm too scared to walk out there. I also have dreadful allergies and wouldn't want to give anyone a cold." Shadow smiled at her and pointed to a tree that was planted in the center of the yard with a bench underneath it.

"If you ever want to go outside, just go sit there and I'll go to you. If anyone is picking on you, I'll put a stop to it."

Maria blushed at this, yet kept a smile on her face. "Thank you, Shadow."

•Sonic•

Sonic walked calmly down the streets, he waved when waved to, smiled when smiled to, he looked like a perfectly good citizen. "I'll get some jewelry for Amy, and I'll sneak some money out of a cash register. I'll pickpocket every now-and-again, too." He said as he started to finally look around. "Maybe I can build up a new gang once I leave. I'll be even bigger than before!" Sonic smiled happily; he had found a jewelry stand.