Prologue

Sonic panted as he ran in the rain, he was drenched in mud, the sirens of the prison rang in his ears. "I have to move... I'm so close... My freedom is within grasp!" His heart was pounding, his eyes darting back and forth, dodging tranquilizer bullets. "Where is it... Where's the damn exit?!" Sonic cursed and tried to run faster. The stupid ankle bracelet he had slowed his speed to that of a normal pace. "Please... I have to escape... This isn't where I should be!" He cried out as he ran behind a car to hide. "I deserve to be back in my hang out, where people bowed to me!"

He tried to catch his breath as tranquilizers whizzed by his head. He heard the warden shouting angrily over the bangs of the guns.

"Use those guns right, you morons! Forget the tranquilizers! Use your damn bullets! Don't let him escape!"

Sonic took in a deep breath and stood up, never before had he felt his legs ache so much. "I have to go... I have to leave..." He pulled out a map he had snatched from an officer. "Okay... The exist is... That way!" Sonic repeated the directions in his mind as he dashed out from behind the car.

"Lock all exists!" The warden shouted as alarms rang throughout the entire prison. "No... Come on! Move faster!" Sonic mentally yelled at himself. He ran as fast as he could as the saw the gate closing. He realized he wouldn't make it if he ran, so as he neared it, he slid down on his knees and barely made it through when the doors latched shut.

Even though he was out of the prison, he still had a long way to go. He kept running and running until he couldn't even see the prison anymore. "I'm free... I'm actually free!" Sonic's chest tightened at the thought of going back to his life of crime. It filled him with happiness and determination.

Sonic reached the docks just as the sun was coming up beyond the sea. His first task was to steal a boat. That would prove to be difficult since the guards there have heard of his escape. His second task would be to get out of here without killing himself. That would prove to be more difficult. He would have to get rid of his "ankle bracelet". He'd have to get it off without setting off the alarm.

"You've got this... Everything's gonna be fine, simple run and hide." Sonic got prepared to dash towards a bush closer towards an unguarded boat. "Count of three... One... Two... Three!" Sonic dashed as fast as he could without being seen. He sat there panting for a few minutes then turned to look at the boat.

No guards. He was as good as gold, for now.

He saw a flashlight sweep over the land, getting closer to his bush. He sucked in his gut and scooted away from the light, holding his breath. "Damn it all..." The flashlight finally left and Sonic slowly released his breath. "Now for this bracelet." Sonic groaned and stared at the brightly colored bracelet. The best way to break it would be to drench or with water, bad news, he'd get electrocuted.

"Oh well, I've survived this long." He sighed quietly and got close to the beach to dip his foot into the water. The water was like ice. Chill to the bone, yet Sonic proceeded with his plan.

Once the bracelet was off; quickly he made his way to the boat and started to row. Freedom was finally within his grasp.

~Amy~

Amy smiled as the sun soaked up her skin. She looked around the sandy beach she had been relaxing in and smiled. She sat up to grab herself a novel she had packed. She flipped to her stomach and began to read her book silently. As she got drowned in words the world around her disappeared.

Her book was written by one of her favorite authors, she had read it many times. The spine of the book was worn, and the paper was yellow instead of fresh and white. Even some of the printed words had faded, but she memorized those few missing words.

Her book was about an outlaw who desperately wanted freedom. There was no romance in it, because romance was the last thing on a runaways mind. Amy had never liked the idea of dating, but she dreamed of adventure. This book spoke to her and took her on a never ending adventure.

After a few hours of reading, Amy slipped her book into her bag. She sighed and collected her things. She would be on her way home, to rest, and tend to other things.

Never would she think, that during one night, would her entire life change.