Chapter 8

•Shadow, a day ago•

Shadow left Maria in the hallway and strolled into Eggman's office. He looked from wall to wall. Pictures of Eggman were thrown around everywhere. "Some ego this guy has..." Shadow noted. He walked to the big desk in the room and sat down, crossing his legs.

"Shadow, I have a request for you." Eggman came right out and said. "Alright, what is it?" He asked and crossed his arms. "I want you to find Sonic. He ran away and we don't want to cause a ruckus. I'm sending you undercover-"

"What do I get out of it?" Shadow interrupted. "I'm not doing anything unless I get something out of it." Eggman glared at him, "freedom." He answered seriously. "If you bring Sonic back, dead or alive, you get freedom."

Shadow thought about this for about two seconds. "Sounds fair enough, when do I leave?" He questioned with a sly smile. "Tomorrow night, I'll give you time to pack your things. Meet me here tomorrow morning before you leave." Shadow shrugged and stood up, "alright."

Eggman waited until the door closed. "Stupid lowlife, can't believe I'm asking him for help!"

Shadow stepped out into the hallway, to see that Maria had left. A guard stood where he had last seen her. "Get a move on, I don't have all day." The guard hissed at him.

On his way back out to the courtyard, he couldn't help look around for Maria. "Maybe she's at the front desk?" But, when Shadow passed the desk, a different female was there. He felt utterly disappointed. He got thrown out to the yard shortly after.

"Hey~ How'd it go with the big boss?" Asked one of Shadow's peers, Rouge. She was about as close to a friend he had here. "Fine, I'm being sent to a different cell area and I'm being put under a high watch list."

"Even if we're close, I can't take any chances letting other people know I'm getting out. If they do, they could try to beat me up all at once until I can't leave..."

"Oh poo! Guess I won't you seeing you that much..."

"Suppose not."

Rouge crossed her arms and pouted. "Well you don't seem to terribly troubled, some friend you are!" Shadow rolled his eyes and flicked her in the head. "Those wing-braces might be too tight, you can't focus on anything but your own pain."

"Oh haha! Just like my last ex-husband said. You're so funny." Rouge said sarcastically. "Before you killed him, right?" Rouge gave him a threatening glare.

"Oh, by the way, a lady came to the yard a few minutes ago." Rouge said casually. "She said she was looking for something she forgot. Sure was funny watching her scurry around out here." Shadow's heart skipped a beat. "What was she wearing?"

"Ew! I didn't know you were type of man, Shadow! You are so nasty!" Rouge smirked and slapped his shoulder.

"Stop joking, I'm serious." Shadow growled at her, now searching the entire yard. "Blue dress, pretty blonde hair, sea blue eyes-"

"It's her, it's Maria!" Shadow thought happily. He picked up the pace and looked around even more. "Where was the last place you saw her?" Shadow asked Rouge impatiently. "Well, well! Isn't someone excited to find that little Miss!"

"Tell me, Rouge!"

"Okay, okay, she went over to the center of the yard and that's the last I saw of her." Rouge told him. "Thanks, I'll see ya around!" Shadow yelled as he ran off in that general direction. Rouge rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "Humph."

Shadow found Maria looking around the weight benches for her missing item. "Maria?" Shadow said. "What are you doing out here?" Shadow put his hand on her shoulder and tried to help her up.

"I was looking for my tiny handheld notebook! It must've slipped out of my pocket while I was escorting you." Maria said frantically, still looking for the notebook. "I'll help you find it, okay? But you can't be out here. Some of these men and women would hurt you."

Maria's looked up at Shadow, her eyes sparkling with tiny formations of tears. "Is that... Puppy eyes?" Shadow asked, he couldn't help but find her cute. She let out a tiny whimper, Shadow turned to pudding immediately.

"Fine, lets look over-"

"There!" Maria pointed to an empty corner of the yard. "Uh, okay?" Maria took hold of Shadow's wrist and drug him to the corner.

"Tell me about what Dr. Eggman said! Please!" She smiled at him. Shadow cocked his head to the side. "What? What about your note-"

"I don't have one, my dress doesn't even have pockets." Maria giggled at him and spun around to prove herself.

"Well, I'm leaving the prison in a few days. I've been asked to track down an escapee and bring him back. In turn, I get freedom." Shadow told her, summarizing his conversation with Eggman.

Maria looked slightly disappointed. "Oh, I hope you stay safe, who are you tracking down?" Shadow smiled at her and rolled his eyes. "Old partner of mine, his name is Sonic."

"Wow, are... you betraying him?"

"We separated a long time ago. It's a bit of a long story, but j could shorten it up."

Maria was immediately interested and placed her head in her hands and listened to Shadow. "We were robbing a bank, Sonic had gotten the loot, and I was trying to keep us away from cops. I ended up killing one of them, and Sonic abandoned me. I never betrayed him, he's the real betrayer. But, anyways, they caught him soon after, we ended up having a fight in the yard. I had never had more fun then when I was fighting."

Maria frowned, "I wish people would be less violent. I... I want to live in a world where everyone and everything is happy. I, of course, know that's impossible, but I like to dream."

Shadow felt guilty, that memory that once made him laugh, now made him feel sad. "I'm sorry, Maria. If it helps, I'll keep my violence to a minimum around you." He winked at her. She smiled and giggled. "Thanks, I'd like that." Shadow put an arm around Maria and she laid her head his shoulder. Neither had ever felt closer to someone before.

Next morning Shadow was sent to Eggman to get secret information on the mission. "You are leaving tonight, make sure your bags are packed, place them by your cell door and the guards will take them to the boat immediately."

Shadow nodded; Eggman handed him a folder. "This is all the information you'll need. Don't loose it, understood?" Shadow nodded again. "Good, you are dismissed to your cell. The guards will get you tonight."

Shadow spent the rest of that day in his cell until the guards arrived around 11:30 pm.

Shadow stepped into the wobbly boat with his bags and a map. "Good luck, Shadow The Hedgehog." Eggman said while saluting him. "You better bring that no good thief back."

"Don't worry, I'll make sure he comes back. I was his partner after all, I know him better than anyone."

***
Hi guys! Sorry this one took so long and was rushed a little, hope you can forgive me.