Chapter 31

Alfred sighed in relief as he walked into the warm building known as the White House. He walked past guards, showing ID and pass, and made his way to the inbox room. When he got there he sighed at all the papers in his tray. Grabbing the stack of papers, he walked out and went to his office. He sat at his desk and looked at the first paper.

New Law

"Great. I hate these." Alfred muttered.

He spent the next three hours doing paperwork and it didn't even put a dent in the stack. This is what he got for being away for like, three months.

He jumped at a knock on his door.

"Come in." he called out.

The door opened to reveal a secretary.

"Good morning Mr. Jones." she said.

"Good morning Miss...." Alfred started before realizing he didn't know her name.

"Bridges. Alison Bridges." the lady smiled.

"Good morning Miss. Bridges. Did you need something?" Alfred asked politely.

"Your boss wants you. There's a meeting you're needed at." Alison said.

Alfred sighed, "Okay. Where is it?"

"Green room. The meeting starts in twenty minutes." Alison informed him.

"Alright thank you." Alfred said, standing up.

"I'll leave you now." Alison said, "Have a good day."

"You too." Alison walked out and went back to her area.

Alfred walked out of his office and made his way to the Green Room. When he got there he was greeted by Ludwig.

"Hallo Alfred." Ludwig said.

"Hey Ludwig. So you're part of this meeting too?" Alfred asked.

"Ja, let's get this over with."

The two walked into the room and took their seats and the meeting began.

When it was over, Alfred and Ludwig walked out of the room with the rest of the people.

"Let's go to my office, we can talk a bit. If you want." Alfred said.

"Sure. I've got some time to spare." Ludwig said.

Alfred motioned for the German man to follow him and lead the way to his office.

"Sit down." Alfred said motioning to the empty chair, "So how have you been?"

"Alright. Feliciano is slowly opening up the me and his brother. He's getting better." Ludwig smiled.

"That great." Alfred said.

"It really is. How about you?" Ludwig asked.

Alfred hesitated. "I've been alright."

"I can tell. You don't look so..... sickly as you did a few months ago. More healthy. How about the rest of your family?"

Alfred looked down. "Okay.... ish."

Ludwig frowned. He could tell something bad happened. "What's wrong?"

Alfred opened his mouth for a moment, then shut it again.

"You can tell me Alfred, I'm not here to judge or anything. You know that." Ludwig said reassuringly.

"Arthur he..... he tr-tried to .... he tried to kill himself." Alfred whispered, tears welling up in his eyes.

Ludwig reared back in shock. "What happened?"

Alfred wiped his eyes, "Alistor came over and found out about his cuts and they got into a fight. Words were thrown at each other and it didn't end well. He's been in a coma for the past two weeks or so."

Ludwig sat back and processed the information. "That would explain the dark, dreary weather England's been having lately. And the sicknesses that's been going around."

Alfred's head shot up. "What sickness?"

"People keep getting sick, like the flu or chicken pox or a cold. Sometimes pneumonia. Probably because Arthur's immune system is weak right now." Ludwig said.

Alfred put his head in his hands. "Why haven't I noticed?"

Ludwig reached over and put a hand on the other's shoulder, "You were busy making sure Arthur himself was alright. Also yourself and family. It's alright."

Alfred just nodded. "Yeah, yeah you're right."

Ludwig looked at the time and sighed. "I've got to go now, my flight back to Germany is in an hour."

The two stood up.

"Nice talking to you Beilschmidt." Alfred said, shaking Ludwig's hand with a small smile.

"You too Jones." Ludwig said, returning the smile.

Ludwig nodded and walked out of the office. Alfred sighed and sat back down, preparing to do some more paper work when his computer lit up.

It was a skype call. From Matt.

He quickly answered it and saw his brothers face.

"Hey Alfred." Matt said smiling.

"Hey Matt. Did you need something. And isn't it like six over there?" Alfred asked.

"Yeah, but we have good news." Francis said, getting into frame.

"And what would that be?"

Matt smiled and moved the camera. Alfred's face split into the biggest smile ever.

"Hey Alfred."

Said a finally awake Arthur.