Chapter 24

Sorry if this is a bit more angsty than usual. Oh, by the way... TRIGGER WARNING!!!! (look for the ***)

__________________________________________________________________________

The other three were downstairs, watching the TV when the shouting started. 

"What's going on up there?" Matthew wondered aloud.

The other two just shrugged. It was probably just a brother fight. They all know that Al and Matt can get into shouting matches sometimes. 

They ignored it until Alistor's scared yells echoed down the stairs.

"Arthur!"

They whip their head towards the stairs, then at each other.

"ARTHUR!!! OPEN THIS DOOR!!!"

 They three shot off the couch and up the stairs. There they saw Alistor banging on the bathroom door. 

"ARTHUR!!!! Come on open the door!!"

They ran to the red-head. "What's going on?" Francis asked hurriedly.

"We got into an argument, things were said that should never have been. And now he won't open the door!" Alistor explained, his eyes tearing up.

Francis started to bang on the door. "Arthur? What's wrong?"

A voice came from the other side of the door. "Just go-" A sob interrupted his speech, "-away." 

"No, we can't do that. Now can you please come out?" Alfred asked.

There was a pause. "...No I can't."

"Why not?" 

Another pause, they Arthur started again. "... Because... I-I.. JUST LEAVE ME!!!"

The four outside the door reeled back at the yell. 

"Arthur, Artie, please come out." Alfred said, almost crying.

"NO!" 

Matt and Alistor were knocking on the door again. "Open this door!!!"

There was no reply. 

"What do we do?" Al asked, extremely nervous.

"We open the door." Francis said.

"How?!" Matt asked. 

"Like this." Alistor said.

He stepped back, raised his leg, and swiftly kicked out at the door. As soon as he did that the door swung open to reveal a sight they would never forget. 

***

Arthur was slumped against the wall, eyes closed, blood leaking out of his wrists. There were long gashes up his forearms. His face had tear streaks down his cheeks. In his hand was a bloody razor. 

***

They all ran into the bathroom. Alistor and Matt quickly went to his side and grabbed some towels, trying to stop the blood flow.

"Alfred!" Francis said in a commanding voice, "Go call an ambulance!"

Alfred nodded and ran out of the bathroom and down the stairs to make the 999 call.

Francis knelt in front of Arthur and tried to wake him up. He tapped on his cheek.

"Arthur? Come on wake up." He whispered.

Arthur moaned, but did not wake. Alfred came running back up the stairs and announced, "The ambulance should be here in 5 minutes."

Francis turned around to look at the boy. His blue eyes were shining with unshed tears, his face extremely pale. Francis looked to Alistor who nodded, telling him that he and Matt could take care of Arthur. Francis stood up and went over to Alfred, pulling him into a hug.

Immediately, Alfred broke out into sobs. He clutched to the french-man's shirt and buried his face in his chest. Francis held the younger one tightly as he cried and whispered in his ear. 

"It'll be okay. Arthur will be okay. Shhhh..."

They were interrupted by banging on the front door. Matt shot up and ran downstairs to get the paramedics and lead them to the bathroom. Francis and Alfred moved into the hall so the medics could get to Arthur. Matthew joined them in the hall, leaning into Francis for comfort. Francis hugged the two to him, hoping to comfort them in some way.

Alistor walked out of the bathroom as the medics had it under control. No one noticed that he and Matt had blood on their shirts or hands. A minute later the medics put Arthur on the stretcher and rushed him down stairs, and into the ambulance.

A paramedic came up to them.

"Only one person can ride in the ambulance." he said.

They all looked at each other and pushed Alistor forward.

"You sure?" He asked.

"You're his brother, go." Francis said.

Alistor nodded and clambered into the back of the ambulance. The doors shut and it took of, sirens wailing.

"Come on, lets follow them." Francis said sadly.

The two boys followed him to the car and got in. They pulled out of the driveway and followed the ambulance to the hospital.