(Edited) Chapter 20

Start from the beginning

So that's why people drink when they're upset. It helps them lessen the pain, forget it even.

Before I can drink some more, a hand comes up and snatches the bottle from me. "What the hell!?" I curse, annoyed. I need it. I need it to lessen my pain and distract me; to blur everything.

"You don't want to drink. You hate drinking. Why are you drinking?" Susan asks, sounding worried.

"Isn't it obvious? I want to forget a certain douche-bag," I say and try to grab the bottle back from her, but Susan's taller than me. She lifts it farther beyond my reach. I let out a growl,

"Su, give it to me!"

"You hate drinking!"

"Not anymore!"

"Give it to her, let her drink," Sharon says.

"But—" Su tries to protest but Sharon cuts her off.

"Seriously, let her drink. She needs it. She has a right to let off some steam and just...relax and not think about all this. Wasn't that the point of coming here tonight?"

Susan looks reluctant, but she hands the bottle back to me. I eagerly grab it and gulp down some more of its content before slapping down the half empty bottle on the table. I wipe the drink trickling down my lips and breathe.

I feel lighter, more energized. The alcohol has done its work. I try to think of Aiden and the situation, but I can't. Whenever I try, I feel my head starting to ache. And nothing seems clear, it's all a blur. All the words and thoughts are a jumbled mess. I can't focus on a particular thought. It's all hazy, and chaotic. I can't think at all. Which is a good thing because I don't want to think. I don't want to think at all.

"I need to get out of here," I say to Susan and Sharon. They both look at me worriedly, but I don't wait any further. I turn around, and start walking out of the room. The cold air hits me as soon as I exit the mansion. It feels so amazing against my sweaty warm body. After all that dancing, I needed this to cool down.

I spot a secluded tree, away from the rowdy crowd and plop down at the foot of its trunk. The grass is slightly wet from the dew, but I don't mind. I don't care, actually. I think I can sit here forever. Just an hour into the party and I already feel my mood deteriorating. Wasn't this party supposed to do just the opposite? I would have been better off at home.

Sharon and Susan sit down on either side of me, plastic cups in their hands. Susan being the designated driver is sipping some Pepsi. The slow song is still audible from here. We stay there for a bit, just talking. When the slow songs are replaced by a hip-hop song, we decide to head back inside. Thankfully the couples would have left the dance floor, leaving it for people who actually want to dance, and not just suck each other's face in front of everyone. Hopefully they're done playing the slow songs. On the way back, we come across Kayla and Sandra, my two friends from school. They're all decked up for the party, in skin tight short dresses of metallic tones. I introduce them to Susan and vice versa. Then the five of us head back inside. After they get themselves a cup of beer each, we all make our way back to the dance floor.

Ten minutes into dancing, Sandra leans in, beckoning all of us to come closer so we can hear her.

"What is it?"

"Extremely hot guy at 3 o'clock, and he's not even a stranger," she says excitedly. "Oh, oh don't you all turn to look at him at the same time!" She reprimands us when we begin to turn around.

"Well, who is it?" I ask, curious.

"William Hayden," Sharon says, finally noticing who Sandra is talking about.