A Big Brother and a Warning

Start from the beginning

“That’s okay I don’t…” hearing her stomach growl Kailani blushed. “Maybe a snack wouldn’t be such a bad idea.” Ford laughed and after helping her down from the rock they headed off to get something to eat.

**

Demitri walked through the forest heading toward the target area to meet with Kailani. He and Serenity had both called on their mother but she hadn’t made an appearance. The demigod wasn’t entirely surprised. Artemis didn’t always come when called.

“Where are you off to?”

Demitri stopped and looking up saw his mother sitting up on a large branch; her back resting against a tree. He smiled seeing a bird perched on the woman’s finger. It still amazed him how connected his mother was to forest creatures.

“Serenity and I called on you,” He said his mint green eyes watching her.

“I know,” The goddess said looking at the bird on her finger.

Demitri waited for her to give him some form of excuse but she didn’t. “Why didn’t you come?” He asked finally.

“It wasn’t the right time,” She replied and turned green eyes his direction. “Now where are you in such a rush to that you ignored your follower?”

“Follower?” Hearing a chattering sound he looked back to see the woodland creature that had retrieved the hidden flag for him. Forgetting his mother’s presence the demigod went down on a knee and held his hand out toward the squirrel. “I’m sorry. It seems I wasn’t paying a lot of attention.”

The squirrel didn’t hesitate and immediately climbed up on his hand and then walked onto his arm. “Thanks again for your help.” He watched as the squirrel looked down sadly. “What’s wrong?” Demitri asked the brown creature.

Artemis smiled watching her son interact with the creature. The creature apologized to her son because of his loss but Demitri only thanked the creature; telling the small creature it hadn’t made him lose. Unlike several of the other gods Artemis did not have very many children. Demitri, Serenity, Aran, and Wren were the only children she had. There had been two more but they had died upon being only a few days old.

It had been Wren’s father that had captured her heart against all odds. Sadly being mortal he had eventually died; breaking her heart. Peyton and Darlene had happened as a result of her pain of the loss of Wren’s father Arthur. They were both dead and gone as well. Demitri, Serenity, and Aran’s father had been the one to bring love back into the goddess’s life. Hayden lived but she’d had to hide him long ago and allow others to believe he had died. Demitri, Serenity, and Aran didn’t even know they were full brothers and sister; they had been so young.

“Mother?”

Artemis shook the thoughts of Hayden from her head and looked at the boy who had inherited his father’s eyes. “You haven’t told me where you were going,” The goddess said.

“I’m teaching Kailani archery,” He replied. “It’s almost time for her lesson.”

“I see. How is Poseidon’s little girl?”

“She’s sixteen mother; not six,” Demitri said sounding annoyed.

“My apologies,” The Goddess of the Hunt replied. “How is she…” She stopped seeing Demitri look away. “Is something wrong?”

“She’s been sad the last couple of days,” Her son replied. “I hate seeing her so heartbroken.”

“Heartbroken?” Artemis inquired. “How could she be heartbroken?”