Chapter Twenty Two

Thanks for reading, enjoy :)

---

I stared innocently into my pasta, ignoring Cadens suspicious gaze. Coming in to school this morning I had actually been polite towards him, using no sarcasm in my greeting.

He had immediately known something was up.

All day he had been pestering me about it, poking me like a five year old who hadn't been told something. Hence why I was staring into my lunch so intently, almost as if cafeteria food wasn't so disgusting. I was wo dering how long he could manage actually staying silent, when his whiny voice finally spoke.

"Tell me! You are never that pleasant to me, especially not on Monday mornings. Tell me why you are so happy!" His outburst made me chuckle, but I still didn't look up, not wanting to give into the pleading expression currently gracing his face. All of a sudden something wet and cold whacked me in the face, making me look up and glower at Caden.

He had thrown a hunk of lettuce at my face.

I gave him the scariest glare I could muster, but he infuriatigly just smirked, crossing his arms huffily.

"You-just-threw-a-hunk-of-lettuce-at-me." I stated slowly, tthe anger slowly seeping into my tone. He grinned smugly and picked up another hunk, waving it slowly in front of my face.

"Well I definately wasn't going to eat my salad. Tell me or I'll throw more." I didn't even think once that he was bluffing. He was my best friend and one thing I had learned about Caden in all the years we had been friends was that he didn't lie.

He was a terrible liar.

So when he kept his serious expression, not finching I knew he had the nerve. We stared at each other for a few seconds, not even blinking, when he drew his arm back, preparing to throw. With a grouchy sigh I stopped him.

"Ok, ok stop." I grumbled, glaring at his superior expression. "I'll tell you." He put his arm down, wrinkling his nose at the limp lettuce, before settling into a listening position in his seat. And then I told him everything. Right up from the deal with Ronald, until the steamy coffee. When I finished I took a deep breath of air, trying to regain the oxygen I had lost in talking so fast. His face was frozen, his jaw dropped and his eyebrows raised so high they were covered by his curly hair.

"Whoa..." He said 'intelligently,' making me roll my eyes.

"Yea 'whoa,'" I mocked sarcastically, annoyed with his lack of response. When he spoke it wasn't what I expected. "Ronald Mcfarland likes me!?" He shrieked, the noise hurting my ear drums. I winced, giving him an annoyed look.

"That's what you got from that?" I asked disbelief in my tone. He gave me a sheepish smile, shrugging his shoulders. "Look it's cool you actually love a girl for once and all, but I've..."

"What?" I yelled, catching him off gaurd. He gave me a confused stare, cocking his head to the side.

"I said, that it's cool you actually love s-"

"Love someone?" I scoffed, irritated by his words. "I do not love Summer." He gave me a look, showing he didn't believe my words.

"Sure." He said sarcastically, rolling his eyes. I was about to insist when someone sat next to me, interrupting my intentions. Summer was perched comfortably on the bench, beside me but far enough away not to draw any suspicion to our relationship. Her hair was pulled into a surprisingly neat bun and her eyeliner was unusually heavy. I smiled as I saw her. She cleared her throat to snap me out of it.

"I just came over to talk about our science project." She said carefully, looking warily towards Caden who had adopted a creepily wide smile while looking at her. I rolled my eyes at how awkward he was before grabbing her hand under the table, hidden from prying eyes, and pulling her towards me.

"He knows." I said simply, answering her unspoken question. "He was so aggravating I had to tell him just to shut him up. He dramatically grabbed his chest, acting like he had been shot, before adopting a fakely wounded expression.

"That hurts, my best friend thinking so lowly of me." He grinned, holding out his hand for Summer to shake while flirtily winking, making me glare. "I'm afraid we haven't... 'officially met." He said suggestively, hinting at the embarrassing moment he caught us in the library. "I'm Caden." Summer grinned at my annoyed expression, gently rubbing a soothing hand on my knee before shaking his hand.

"I'm Summer." She then turned to me grinning slightly and gesturing towards Caden. "Did you ask him yet?" My scowl quickly turned into a devious smirk as her question registered.

"Not yet... oh Caden?" I called turning to face him. I chuckled when I saw him, he was halfway to sliding out of his seat, trying to escape by crawling under the table. He cursed when we saw him though, slinking back to a sitting position and crossing his arms, like a petulant child, at my gaze. His expression gave away his nerves toward my evious expression. "We have a little proposition for you."

---

"This thing is choking me!" Caden yelled, making me chuckle from the other side of the closet door. I slipped on a robe before leaving the closet to help him. I almost died of laughter when I saw him. He was lying on the floor, his hands clawing at his bowtie that was tightened snugly around his neck. The buttons on his dress shirt were crooked, buttoned in the incorrect holes, while one pant leg was rolled and bunched into itself. His curly hair was unruly and spread all over his head in a frizzy mess. Collecting myself, I walked over and unclipped the tie, laughing the entire way. His body slumped flat on the floor, his lungs refilling with the oxygen he had lost.

"You are the only person I know who can mess up a clip-on bowtie this bad." I said bemusedly, his put out expression making me laugh even more.

"It's not my fault." He pouted, jutting his bottom lip out. "That thing is a death trap." Rolling my eyes I motioned for him to get up. I started with his pant leg, untucking it and smoothing the wrinkles. I then moved to his shirt, rebuttoning until the front was an even line. After I neatly clipped on his bow tie Caden gave a sigh of relief, thinking I was done. But I wasn't finished.

"Your hair." I said pointedly making his face sink in horror. He rapidly started shaking his head, pleading with me to leave it alone. But I just grinned evilly, dragging him to my vanity. I plunked him down in the stool, right in front of the mirror, before picking up a bottle of hair gel. Ignoring his meek protests I squirted some on my head and started shaping his hair. When I was satisfied with my work I wiped my hands on a towel and smirked as I watched his expression. He was staring at himself, making faces and looking at the effect my hairstyle had on his face. I was about to applaud myself out loud, when his wjiny voice interrupted me.

"I look like a creep!" He exclaimed, moving to mess up his hair with his hands. Annoyed wkth his words I smacked his hands away before whacking him roughly on the head, giving him a pointed glare.

"Don't touch my fucking work!" I growled protectively, making him half roll his eyes and half tremble in fear. With a sigh slumped down far in his stool, adopting a childish pout on his face.

"You know I only agreed to come here for you you know..." He said grumpily, making me soften slightly in guilt. At lunch Summer and I had asked him (in a very pushy way) to come and distract Ronald at the party to give us time together. He had resisted at first, the news of Ronalds possible gay crush making him blush and shake his head. But after much prodding he had agreed, stating that it was only because I was his best friend.

This thought made me pull him into a hug and squeeze, probably harsher than intended.

Only when he started batting at my hands did I relinquish him, smiling at his annoyed expression. I ignored his glare and picked up a blush compact, applying it expertly to my cheeks. I picked up a tube of black eyeliner, poising my hand to apply it, when a small cough emanated from Cadens direction.

"Usethegray." He mumbled quietly, not meeting my eyes. I looked at him in confusion, not understanding his sentence. He sighed in defeat before speaking again only slightly raising his voice, just enough for me to hear. "Use the gray eyeliner, it goes better with your dress." I raised an eyebrow, confused at his makeup knowledge, before he started talking before I could question him. "Anyway where is your dress? You said it was even more humiliating than this outfit." He said, gesturing to his tuxe. A devious look grew on my face as I pictured that dress, now shredded and burned far away from my sight.

"I decided on... 'Another' choice of attire." I stated mysteriously, my voice mockingly snooty. "I thought it would be way more appropriate."

---

Vote and comment if you liked it, please :)