CHAPTER 59 - ORION

Start from the beginning

We stopped in front of the interrogation room door.

"We are outside," Pharro said into his Com.

The door hissed open and Dawith stood there, glaring at us. "Cutting it close. They will be awake any minute now. What..." His voice trailed off as he gave me a once over. "Why are you dripping wet, Miss Aveeve?" He spotted Tritteon behind me. "And you, Nazonna?"

I shot both of them a glance before looking back at Dawith. "What is wrong with them waking up before you've told us the verdict?"

He narrowed his eyes.

"Sorry. I did not explain the entire protocol," Pharro said. "He doesn't know it himself, Theena."

"But you're—" I started.

"The middle-man," Dawith finished for me. "I present my superiors with my observations along with my summation and opinion of the evidence and they make the decision."

My heart sank. "You don't give them all of it?"

"There isn't time for that much information."

"Their lives aren't worth every detail?"

"Is she done?" Dawith growled.

"Theena, let him proceed," Tritteon said impatiently.

I gritted my teeth, my insides twisting at the command. I shot him a scathing look.

His eyes widened in realization, but he didn't retract it. He couldn't with Dawith there.

"I will remain out here," Tritteon said, nodding to Pharro. Because he didn't want to witness their execution, I knew he wouldn't say aloud.

Dawith walked back into the room to the table. A blue glow blinked in his hand and a small com appeared out of nowhere. He motioned for us to stand behind him and spoke into it. "They have arrived. We are ready whenever you are."

Vialla, Aeryn, and Gauwin were still motionless, their faces devoid of emotion. What would I really do if they weren't vindicated? I knew they were innocent. Would I really let him execute them? Would I risk having my brand registered?

"Focus," Pharro hissed.

An image had appeared on the wall above the table. Five people sat side by side facing us—two women and three men. One was High Councilwoman Gatten. The others were unfamiliar.

"Miss Aveeve, may I introduce you to the Creea High Counselors: Lord Holt, Lord Graim, Lady Gatten, Lord Sarlin, and Lady Vrayson."

I bowed. All eyes traveled the length of me, and I had to mentally command my body to refrain from its self-conscious fidgeting. We should have listened to Colleena and taken a few minutes to change.

"Miss Aveeve," Lady Vrayson said. "May we inquire the reason for your appearance?"

I hesitated. "Are you unaware of the incidents that have taken place?"

"They have not received the entire report yet," Pharro said.

"She is simply asking for a brief summation from your standpoint," said Lord Holt.

Pharro caught my eye and nodded like he was giving me permission to tell them.

"We had a run-in with Daniel Onra, Tritteon was shot—the majority of the blood on me belongs to him, I healed him, Carnac attacked, Tritteon and I went for a swim in the lake, we've both recovered." I took a breath. "Adequate?"

"That will do," Lady Vrayson said.

"We look forward to the full reports," Lady Gatten said, brows raised.