"Hold your ground," Lexicon said. "This is a test."

I leaned toward him ever so slightly and allowed my irritation to show.

"For a non-FengDohrn Guardian, you hold your own very well. I'm intrigued. What corner of the world did they pull you from?"

Pharro cleared his throat.

I ignored him. "Delmare," I said, because it was vague enough.

"What part?"

"Somewhere you wouldn't find pleasant."

He made a face, eyeing Pharro questioningly. When Pharro gave nothing away, he nodded. "Very well. Lord Gonreem, lead the way to Aveeve's innocent FengDohrn. Aveeve, you may accompany us, but you will be required to remain silent throughout the duration of the interrogations. If you cannot do so, you will be asked to wait outside of the holding cell. Is that clear?"

I opened my mouth to argue, but Desraeon squeezed my arm. "Yes, sir." I gritted my teeth and bowed as the man followed Pharro from the Hanger.

Desraeon leaned in to my ear. "This is a good thing," he whispered. "It means he is taking you and your request seriously by making sure nothing is present that could compromise the integrity of the results."

I blew out a breath. "I suppose that's a good reason. I still don't trust him, though."

"Neither do I. But Pharro will be right there beside him as well."

I nodded, feeling a little better. "True."

"Hurry off. I will be in the Infirmary."

* * * * * *

Thankfully, the Kovei bodies, the burning scent, the rubble, and the chemical smoke had already been cleared out. Though his eyes had bulged as we passed through it, Lord Dawith said nothing about the gaping hole where the Holding Cell doors should have been.

He didn't say anything until we stopped just outside Gauwin's cell. "Under no circumstances will you give a single verbal or facial response to any of them. Are you capable of this?" Lord Dawith asked.

"Yes," I said.

"Because one slip and you will be required to leave. Is that understood?"

No, I didn't say. "Yes, sir."

"Good. Lord Gonreem will ready the interrogation room and you and I will bring the FengDohrn in one at a time." He passed off the silver case to Pharro.

"Theena," Pharro said.

I looked back and he pressed something into my hand—two black rings and a triangular pad. I slipped them on.

"Ready?" Lord Dawith said.

"Yes." I brought up the control screen on Gauwin's cell and opened the one-way window.

I grimaced. She had been put back inside with all restraints reattached and there was dried blood on her clothes and hands, scratches on her cheek and collar bone, and the left side of her bottom lip was swollen.

"She put up a fight when you put her in there?" Lord Dawith asked, his eyes narrowed.

"No," I said, not wanting to get into it.

He crossed his arms. "No? Then how do you explain her appearance?"

I sighed. He wasn't going to give me a choice. "If you must know, His Highness, the Oria, and I were cornered down here by a Carnac horde. We were vastly outnumbered, so we released her and Aeryn and they helped us escape. Aeryn probably looks similar."