CHAPTER 56 - ORION

Start from the beginning

The pin barely touched the material. The atmosphere around him glowed and then exploded outward with a boom, creating spider cracks all across the interior wall of the cell.

From the screen, High Councilwoman Gatten swore. "Aveeve, your request is granted. The executions will be stayed for the time being, and a representative will be sent immediately with the drug. Lord Gonreem, connect Dugana with a Pod at Headquarters for authorization and coordinates."

Pharro bowed. "Yes, ma'am."

"Instructions for Onra's arrival in the Capital will be given within the hour."

Pharro narrowed his eyes. "Ma'am, it is my professional opinion this Vek be terminated immediately. He is far too dangerous."

"Noted." She narrowed her eyes at him. "You don't have anything to hide, do you Gonreem?"

"Of course not! But he has proved—"

"I'm sorry, Gonreem. But Poeir like that cannot go to waste. He is at least a level five, if not higher."

"Exactly. He's too dangerous—"

She bowed. "That will be all, High Advisor Gonreem."

The holo disappeared.

Pharro slammed the key on the control pad and the cell turned opaque once more, blocking Daniel from view.

"What just happened?"

Pharro Veehmed the cube into his hand. "Idiocy." He shook his head. "Never mind. Let's worry about the FengDohrn right now." He ignored my look and took off for the portal door.

"Wait! I have to talk to him!"

He stopped. "That demon won't admit to anything. These Vek are trained to withstand—"

"I'm not going to torture him. I'm just going to talk to him. The idiot can't resist boasting."

He hesitated.

"We have a chance for a lead sitting right here in a cell and you aren't going to do anything about it?"

"I didn't say I wouldn't. I just don't know if you—"

I jabbed a finger toward the control screen. "Open the damn door!"

He blew out a slow breath. "Fine. Just don't go near him. Alright?"

I didn't respond. Only continued glaring.

His nostrils flared, but he stepped back up to the control pad, shaking his head.

I positioned myself in front of the door, trying to relax my hands at my sides, and the door slid open.

Daniel's head snapped toward me, and he grinned.

"So, you did survive?"

"Barely."

"What about Nazonna?"

"He's still with us."

"But he isn't here. So, I'm guessing he isn't doing as well as you."

"He'll recover," I said, unconcerned. "But in the meantime, I would love to know why you stuck around."

"It was an execution," Daniel said, like the answer was obvious. "Someone had to stick around long enough to make sure it was successful." His expression darkened. "I didn't expect Desraeon Enesis or the army he hid so well to appear behind me."

"We both went into the lake. Did you really think we might make it out alive?"

"I knew you would," he admitted. "I was prepared to blast Tritteon, though, if his head appeared above the water when yours did."

"Well, if Desraeon hadn't arrived when he did, you wouldn't have needed to. We wouldn't have made it out had he not pulled us out."

I didn't miss the strange flash of fear in his eyes.

"And your brother? How did he show up so fast with an army of his own?"

"He's always out there come Respite. This is only the first time he had to be activated."

"With that horde?"

"Of course."

"How have they kept so well hidden?"

He shrugged. "You'll find out when you and I exchange ourselves for the far more important Emperor."

I tried not to let my own fear show.

I must not have done a good enough job because he grinned at whatever look I had on my face. "You will receive his ransom terms soon, I expect."

"You planned for this?"

"Of course. You're our property. We couldn't leave you here. So Cort took Dugana for insurance on the chance I wouldn't be able to retrieve you and/or I was captured. If everything had gone according to plan, we would've simply released him without fuss. But as it all turned out..." He chuckled. "Are you ready to go?"

I turned and walked out and Pharro closed the door behind me.

"He was more helpful than I expected," Pharro said.

I shook out my hands and breathed and rolled my head around on my shoulders. "Where could a horde hide for a couple weeks, out of the rain, without being detected?"

He began to walk, and I was slow to follow. "We all assumed they just arrived, and we were looking for a cloaked ship. But if this is a regular thing they do for weeks on end...well...that changes everything."

I glared at his back. "It should've been considered regardless."

* * * * * *