Intentions - Part 3

Well, I'm finally back. You've done your waiting. 12 years of it. Now, here it is. The ending to end it all. Or to just end this mini-series.
-------
Thank you all again for your never-ending support. We're coming up on 7,000 views now, and 400 votes, which is incredible. So, thank you. Thank you so much.
-------
Again, Baz's POV. Enjoy!
----------------------------------------------

If possible, the air seemed to get tighter. The Humdrum strode forwards, towards Simon and I. Simon was shaking violently, looking both angry and tired at the same time. I put myself in between the Humdrum and Simon. The Humdrum just smiled. He looked expectantly over my shoulder, and I felt Simon shift behind me. I reached out an arm, blocking Simon when he tried to go around me. He barely fought against my limb. The Humdrum took another step forwards, and reached out a hand towards me. I fell to my knees. A devilishly innocent grin stretched across his face. My gut twisted into a knot, and I felt fear building up in my throat. Just as the Humdrum was about to place his fingertips on my forehead, I felt Simon surge out from behind me. He ran at the Humdrum, knocking him over. I scrambled to my feet, surprised at Simon's sudden burst of energy. As I ran over to help him, I could see his movements becoming sluggish and clumsy. I was just about to pull the Humdrum off of Simon when a wave of heat rushed towards me. I fell back, and so did the Humdrum, but Simon stayed upright. His wand was raised, and his arm was shaking. The heat just got more and more intense, but it wasn't dry like before. He was going off. The air felt alive, bubbling, bursting, overflowing. The heat passed, and when I looked up, the Humdrum was gone. My eyes caught on Simon, sprawled out on the ground. I rushed over, ignoring the fatigue pulling at my limbs. Simon's eyes were open, and they found me when he looked up. I let the air out of my lungs, not realizing that I had been holding my breath.

"I'm hungry," Simon croaked. I let out a weak smile.

"C'mon now. We should probably get out of here before anything else happens, yeah?" I said, reaching an arm down to him. Simon grabbed it and stumbled to his feet, but then fell onto me. I caught him, and let him lean heavily on me. "Are you really alright?" I asked, looking at Simon's face, drained of colour. I felt his head move against my chest, but I couldn't tell if it was a nod or not. Simon made no move to stand on his own, though, so I assumed that he still needed some help. I looked over my shoulder to see Dev and Niall on the forest floor behind us. I felt a spark of anger, which was quickly replaced by guilt. It was unfair for me to be mad at them, but I couldn't help it. I placed Simon on the ground for a moment and ran over to them. I slung one over each shoulder and lumbered back over to Simon. He gave me a tired look, not speaking. I helped him to his feet, grunting with effort. Simon held onto my arm as we walked out of the woods. The moon was already descending in the sky, making me wonder just how long we had been in there. 

"Are you okay with carrying them?" Simon rasped, finally speaking.

"Yeah. I'm a magical vampire. Remember?" I replied, my voice strained. I heavily placed Dev and Niall down outside their tower. I would have some explaining and many questions to answer tomorrow, but for now, all that mattered was getting Simon to our dorm in one piece.

He still held onto my arm when we walked, stumbling a few times. When we got to our tower, I lifted him up and carried him up the stairs. I was panting by the time we got all the way up. I got into our room and shut the door with my foot. I placed Simon down on his bed. All of his muscles relaxed, like he was melting into the mattress. I lay down beside him, wrapping an arm around his waist and pulling him closer. Simon wrapped a shaking arm around my shoulders.

"I don't know what drains me more, not having enough magic, or having too much magic," he breathed. I laughed, but it sounded hollow.

"What do you think he wanted?" I asked, burying my face in Simon's hair, smelling the traces of apples and smoke.

"Who? The Humdrum?" he replied, matching his breathing to mine. "I think... I don't know. Maybe to find out if we were- you know- a thing,"

"Maybe his whole intention was to give us a scare. You know, to let us know that he is always here," I suggested, shuddering slightly. I felt Simon sigh into the fabric of my jumper.

"Maybe" he said. "Right now. I don't want to think about it," he finished.

"You never like thinking about anything," I pointed out.

"Yeah, but especially not this, not now."

"Alright. Goodnight, Simon," I said. He mumbled a response, but I didn't catch it. I picked up my wand and cast Three Blind Mice, putting out all of the light in the room and washing it darkness. I closed my eyes and let myself enjoy being surrounded by the faint glow of the moon and the smell of Simon. My Simon.

The End