Words

I've been trying some new stuff recently. This is something I haven't tried yet.
-------
I'm doing an AU. I've never done one before, so it's either going to go really well or really poorly.
-------
There is violence in this, so don't read it if you're not comfortable with that.
-------
This takes place at a bookstore in London.
-------
It's Baz's POV. Enjoy!
----------------------------------------------

I carried the pile of books in my arms. My whole body was shaking under the weight, but I didn't want to make two trips.

My boss told me to go and shelve them. I reached the spot of the store where the classics were kept. I gently lowered the books onto the floor and began picking them up and sliding them into place on the shelf, one by one.

When I was done, I looked around to see if anyone was watching me. Everyone's attention was on something else.

I scurried over to the romance novel section. I can never help myself. I love the stories about whirlwind romances, love at first sight, one saving the other, and so on.

I would always imagine someone for me, who would hold me through the night. All of my daydreams were with other boys, though, and I could never find any book with two boys in it. Maybe I'm not really meant to end up happy and in love.

I ran a hand through my hair. I hadn't come out to anyone yet. I was afraid of what they'd call me. Of what they'd think of me.

I realized I was still standing by the romance novels. I grabbed one and hid it behind my back. I planned to find a little area to read it, and tell my boss that I was still shelving.

I looked around to make sure no one had seen, but my breath hitched when I saw that someone was watching me. Shit. Some blonde customer smirked at me. I felt heat rise to my cheeks, unable to control it.

I awkwardly tried to hide the book. I met his gaze, and I couldn't quite make out the colour of his eyes from back here. He dropped his gaze first, and I quickly moved toward my favourite reading place before he looked up again. I flipped to the end of the book.

These were the only parts I ever read. The boy was pushed to the back of my mind. That was the power of books. When I closed the book after the last page, I let out a huge sigh. Even though it was always the same, I always got a happy feeling on my chest after I finished a sappy part. The boy saves the girl. They kiss, and live happily ever after.

"Hello," a voice said, jolting me from my thoughts. I looked up and my heart stopped. It was the boy from before.
"Um, hi," I replied. I was usually really good with words, but something about him made me lose my train of thought.

"What are you reading?" He asked. I blushed and hid the book behind my back.
"It's nothing," I said.
"Oh," the boy replied, hurt in his eyes. They were so blue, I realized. I stood up and brushed invisible dust off of my pants.

"Do you need help finding anything?" I asked, trying to regain my composure.
The boy looked like he was going to say something, and then he shook his head. He left, and it wasn't until later that night, when work was over, that I realized I didn't even know his name.

The next day, I was going towards my favourite reading spot, and there he was. The boy. His whole face lit up when he caught sight of me.