It's Time

So this is a more depressing story. And it's short.
-------
You know what, I'm not going to tell you who I think narrates this. It's up for perception.
-------
And yes, I know it says 'clock ticking down' twice.
-------
Enjoy!
----------------------------------------------

I watched them as the seasons changed. Tank tops to foggy breath to pouring rain. Their love was pure and true. It seemed to swallow the air around them. I could never reach out and touch them, yet I watched.

I watched their yearning looks, kisses in the fire, when they attacked, when the magic was gone, when they moved. Their stolen kisses, tangled bodies, and loving looks. They would speak about how the fighting was all over, how they were holding out for a happy ending, to grow old together. I wanted it to be true, I really did. The reality, though, is that most battles are ones that can never be won.

The days passed, one by one, like a clock ticking down. They acted like they had all the time in the world. There was so much they'd never get to do. We want to believe that we can control everything, but the most important things are unpredictable. Which brings us to now.

Black ice. Screeching tires. A thump. A phone call. Sirens. A broken body. Another phone call. A hospital room. Machines working. Many doctors. Love raining down from a pair of eyes. A heart monitor beeping, like a clock ticking down. Family only. He stays. Crying. Beeping. Tears. Beeping. A cold hand to hold. Silence. Their clock has reached zero.

I now reach out to him. He steps towards me. Looks back. Confused. I don't blame him. He's wondering. They all wonder. He's talking now.
"My love, don't cry, I'm here, I'm always right here," he says, oblivious. But, his love, his other half, is just out of reach. Wailing, more doctors, trying to fix what had already been broken. I take his hand, and he looks at me.
"One day," I say. He nods. The clock had reached zero, and so we leave.