eighteen.

HUNTRESS.
018. | ❛ we protect those who cannot protect themselves.

"I'm not the only one whose vision is blurry in their left eye, am I?" Stein removed his glasses as the crew leaned forward as the effect of time travel was taking its toll on them.

"Oh. Seeing three of everything? That's normal, right?"

"Yes, as I mentioned before, the effect of time travel on the human body increases with the length of each jaunt." Rip shut his eyes quickly as he was also being affected.

"So where are we?" Crystal carefully got up trying not to topple over.

"Harmony Falls, Oregon. According to Captain Baxter's intel, Savage makes an appearance in this quaint little hamlet."

"What the hell is Savage doing in Pleasantville?" Crystal asked

"Murder, apparently. Several denizens of Harmony Falls have been brutally slain, and others have gone missing." Rip informed them.

"Huh. Kind of like Rory." Jax huffed obviously hinting toward Leonard.

"Reports are vague, but it seems like the killer is an expert with knives."

"That sounds like Savage's MO." Sara spoke

"Yeah, but serial killing isn't. Sounds pretty small-time for a guy who's had coffee with Hitler."

"Yeah, well, clearly we have to assume that Savage has a larger, more nefarious plan. But since we've jumped back in time, Savage isn't expecting us here."

"Savage is pretty good at hiding, even in a small town, so how do you plan to find him?" Kendra asked knowing him a bit better than others.

"By investigating these murders. Now, there has to be a common link between the victims, starting with the first."

"A piano teacher was found slain in her home, which is now on the market." The mission was clearly meant for Kendra and Raymond, who were playing a married couple.

"Dr. Matt Miller was found murdered on the grounds of the asylum where he worked." Intended for Stein and Sara, who were impersonating a doctor and nurse.

"Meanwhile, Jefferson is the perfect age to discern the facts behind the disappearance of three teenagers who went missing a week before these murders began."

"So Raymond and Kendra are shacking up, Sara's Nurse Ratched, and Jax's the new kid in town. Where does that leave us?" Leonard points to him and Crystal.

"You must forgive me Ms. Pierce, but this mission doesn't require your set of skills." Rip informed her

"What? Why is she being left behind?" Leonard jumped to her defense, even though Crystal wasn't upset about being left out.

"It's okay, I need a break after everything. Besides I just scope the town, I do have a keen eye for stuff." Crystal quickly winked at Leonard. While the others clearly didn't understand what was going on.

"Perfect, everybody knows their place. Let's get a move on."
______________________

As everyone left, Crystal was hell bound on finding out more about the town. Walking down the street, Crystal passed an antique shop as she looked in the shop window, she spotted a familiar ring.

The ring with a huge diamond and smaller ones surrounding it, shined brighter than any of the others. What Crystal didn't know was that a man right next to her was looking at the same ring.

"It's a real beauty isn't it?" The man spoke

"Are you planning on proposing?" Crystal asked the man, not looking at him.

"Thinking about it. The money's tight right now but I could hope swing the money to buy it for my beautiful Marie- Jeanne." With that word Crystal turned to look at the man, and could only recognize him as her grandfather who died before she grew up. She could tell it was him because of the pictures that were set up all over the house of his presence.

Crystal was struck with disbelief as she looked at him. The man looked at Crystal wondering what was the matter.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just somewhere I got to be," Crystal started to make her way back to the Waverider

"Good luck on the ring!" She yelled before getting out of eye sight from the man.

Back at the Waverider, Crystal checked all of her belongings until she stumbled upon the letter. The letter that her grandfather wrote shortly after his demise, intended for Crystal to open yet she never had the courage to. Ripping the letter open, she started to read

Dear my beloved Crystal,

You're probably wondering who I am and why I'm writing to you. Well, to everyone in known as Henry, but to you I'm grandpa. Anyway, I was marveled at the person you've become in the short period of time, even if you are only five.

Yet I can implore many words into you. Us, Pierces, live by a code, Nous protégeons ceux qui ne peuvent pas se protéger eux-mêmes. I could only hope that you uphold this legacy that we pass on to you. Somethings might not make sense, but let me let you in on a secret, monsters are real. And sometimes they live within us, but we have to make sure that we control our demons and not let them control us.

I just hope that you become the strong woman I've hoped that you would grow up to be, too bad I can't be there to see it. I hope that you could have the happiness that you deserve. As I lie in bed, I want you to remember no matter what they say or who pushes you down, 'you can handle yourself '

Sincerely,
Henri

Crystal touched the letter, grazing over the words that have lived within her for so long.

"Nous protégeons ceux qui ne peuvent pas se protéger eux-mêmes" Crystal whispered holding the letter to her chest.

"We protect those who can't protect themselves," a voice was heard from the doorway. Crystal turned around to Leonard with a suit and a hat, which made him look quite handsome she might add.

Crystal quickly hid her belongings before Leonard could see it. Yet, Leonard was quicker than she was.

"A letter, who I presume is from..?"

"My grandfather," she tried to grab the letter back from him.

"This wouldn't be by any chance that he happens to live in this town would it?"

Crystal stayed quiet, knowing that Leonard who beat her at this little debacle. Kindly, Leonard gave Crystal her letter back.

"Any reason why you mutter a phrase in French?" Leonard smirked at her

"It's a code. More specifically, my family's code." Crystal said putting her stuff away, stiffening a bit since this was the first time they were alone since the kiss.

"Only quote I can remember is from Gandhi, 'Be the change that you wish to see in the world.' "

"That's a good quote," she smiles as she sat down on her bed. Crystal and Leonard could feel some awkwardness between them as he sat down on the bed next to her.

"I was wondering if... perhaps what happened in the other night could be a common occurrence."

"Getting locked in a freezing room ?" Crystal tried to play the dumb blonde card, which she clearly wasn't.

"You know, what I'm talking about." Leonards voice became more serious.

Crystal leaned over and placed a kiss on his lips, clearly not as nervous as she was the first time. Not lingering too long, she pulled back leaving Leonard with a smile.

"Maybe sometime I could go beyond a natural occurrence if you know what I mean.." She trailed off leaving Leonard wanting more as he chased after her