Chapter 2

(Natalia's point of view)

Russia. It's cold most of the time and the hottest it gets is about 85 degrees in the summer. I walk down the street and I see all these American soldiers. I wonder why they are here? Are there family's here to? I hold my books closer to my chest. I see my papas shop and I run in.

"Natalia! Why are you running in here like this"!?

"I'm sorry... I just don't like all these troops being here. What are we in another war"?

"I don't know why they are here"! She snaps. I guess my brothers ticked her off again.

I pick up my little sister and get her a snack. When I Finnish doing that I go upstairs to my room. I have the biggest room in the house besides my parents. I have pictures of the vacation spots we went on. Italy, France, America, China. You name it. I grab my snowboard and my gear.

"Mom I'm leaving. I'll be home later tonight"!

"Ok! Be home before dinner"!

"I will"!

I walk down the streets to the bus and I ride to the slopes.

"Privet Natalia. How are you moya roza"?

"Hi Sevastian and I told you not call me your flower. I don't like".

"Whatever you say". He says quiet util we get to the slopes. When we get off he takes his skis to the shop to get them cleaned before we go out. "So why do you not like the nickname"?

"It just sounds like we are a couple. Plus you know what my parents will do if I'm caught around you. No boys remember? Plus my family hates yours".

"I've heard this about a million times. Chill out. Our parents hate the slopes".

"But in a few months my mom wants to get my younger sis lessons. Which is bad obviously".

He sighs and we get geared up. As usual he helps me with mine and me with his. We go up to the top of the mountain and I hear a click when my boots snap into the board.

"You two already beat me up here"? I turn to see Dina. She has long blonde hair and green eyes. Her face is almost perfect and she's usually supposed to be at ballet but she skips sometimes and comes with us.

"Well your always late".

"I know but you know how my instructor is. She's super strict".

I roll my eyes and jump. The wind blows my face and I lift my bandana over my nose. I flip and do tricks over the metal pipes and twirl when I go over steep jumps. No one is support to ride here because of all the dangers. But for me it's more like a rush then a fight of this place. S catches up but has to watch in front of him. He jumps over metal pipes and is good when it comes to dogging. When I get to the bottom we stop in our usual hiding spot.

"Oh great. They are here to. The Americans. We have to keep on our guard".

I nod and we sneak to the lodge like we normally do. Dina and I sit while S goes and gets us coffee.

"Don't you have to work tomorrow"?

"Yah. After school. I'm ready for junior year to be over. It's ridiculous".

She nods and all of a sudden I see a bullet wiz past my face and though my coffee mug. I get up immediately and we hide under the table. I look up to see a man with a mask. Who is he? American? Russian? We run out and get on the bus. We all sit there quiet and shaking. When I get home I tell mom about the shooting. I do tell her that S helped me out of there.

"It's good that you got out safely but I wish that boy would stay away. Especially from you doch".

"Yes I know mama. I'm going to go get warm. I'll be back".

She nods and I go upstairs and get a shower. I think about what S calls me. A flower. I know why he does. Not the romantically type though. It's just I've always liked the flowers when they did bloom I guess he has just been used to me bragging about the flowers we had in our garden. Then I go back to the shooting. I wish I knew his ethnicity. What if he was American? I sigh and get out of the shower.