CHaPTeR SiX

"So, could you protect my son?"

I seriously was dumbstruck at the moment. How could he expect me to take such a big responsibility?  How could I 'protect' a complete stranger?

Taking a deep breath to keep myself calm, I said "I would like a moment alone to discuss the matters with my friend please,"

My hands were folded in my lap and were sweating.  When Anthony nodded at me, I rubbed my palms against my shorts, stood up and started walking towards the fountain in the middle of the park.

As soon as I sat near it, Jules screeched loudly. "OMG girl!! You're awesome. Even Anthony there can see what you're worth.  This is such a nice opportunity for you!! And I heard that this John boy is the best eye candy you can find in the whole country!! You should say yes Q!! Oh wow!!"

"You should breathe in between your sentences Jules. And I don't know, it's a very big responsibility. "

Jules sobered up. She sat down beside me, took my hands from my lap and held them in hers.

"Do you remember what your uncle and aunt used to tell you? Everything happens for a reason, Q. And if this Anthony guy has come to you, there must be a reason for that too. You and I both know that you are the best person for this job, girl. You can not let apprehension take over your mind."

Then suddenly she turned all sassy. Pouting her lips at me and snapping her fingers in front of me, she said "And this ain't the gal I know, missy. Now you pluck ya' ass outa that seat, walk over to that man there and show'im what your worth."

Laughing at her poor try, I stood up and brushed the dust off the back of my shorts.

"Sir, yes sir!"

Giving her a salute, I turned around and started walking over to where Anthony and Mary were waiting for me.

This is my life. My uncle protects other people, my aunt gave up her life trying to protect Jules. The least I could do was agree to protect Anthony's son. If I could be the reason a person could remain at ease, knowing that his son was safe, I'm ready to keep my life in front of his to protect him.. that's what we do.

When I reached them, I saw a mixture of emotions In both their eyes- anticipation, excitement and everything of that sort.

"I'm ready to take up the job, Anthony. And I can assure you, nothing will harm your son until my soul leaves this body."

"Oh..thank you, thank you. ." It was not Anthony, but Mary who jumped up from the bench and came forward to hug me.

Anthony got up, came forward and shook my hand with both of his.

"I can not express how happy and relieved I am, Ms. Quianna. Thank you so much."

"It's no problem, Anthony.  And please, call me Q"

"Okay, Q.. I am hosting a dinner party at my house to celebrate a successful venture of my company. I would be glad if you and your friend could make it. Plus, it would also give you a chance to meet my family."

I smiled at him. He's a very nice person. "We'll be there."

"Emily will be thrilled to meet you. Mary will pick you girls up at..say... seven? Is that all right with you girls?"

"We'll be ready by seven."

And then, with a final handshake and a smile, Anthony turned around to leave. Mary and the two bodyguards followed him and in a very systematic manner,  they got into the car and took off.

It must be hard to be a rich person and act like one too.
God knows what I've pushed myself into.

Jules jumped on to my back and we both fell on the grass, her giggling with glee and me, well I was groaning with pain.

"I'm sooo excited, Q!!! I can't wait to see those eye candies.." she trailed of into her dream world and sighed.  "You're so lucky Q.."

"Yeah right, having the responsibility  of a life on my delicate shoulders seems very lucky  to me."

"Huh, delicate? Yeah right! You remember the one time we were  rope climbing and I was ahead of you?"

I nodded remembering the time when uncle Jim would train us.

"I slipped and was going to fall but you jumped and caught me and you cushioned my fall. Your left shoulder took the impact of both of us falling and we were sure that you have busted it. But what can I say,  Mr.  Shoulder came out unharmed. That's how caring and strong you are, Q."

"Okay okay...enough of this mushy mushy, alright? We have to go now if we want to be ready for dinner with Anthony and his family. ."

"Eeep!! Tonight?! Oh my God! I need to be flawless. Oh no...I have nothing to wear.."

"Stop hyperventilating, Jules. You have more than enough dresses. You even have some of your clothes in my closet just because you couldn't fit everything in your's, remember?"

"Oh yeah, silly me. Come lets go go go!!"

We both got up, dusted off the grass and mud from our clothes and went back home. Bot of us were anxious but for very different reasons. Jules didn't know what to wear, and I was scared about meeting the bad boy John himself.