25

Pearce still had me engulfed in his embrace.

I on the other hand was feeling shocked, confused, guilty all in one.

I had forgotten the one person who admitted his love for me.

Dan.

But I didn't know how to reciprocate my feelings to someone who roamed the Earth as a spirit, someone I couldn't see or feel.

I felt my eyes well up with tears as I bowed my head down, resting it on Pearce's curled hair.

He looked up and realised that the hot tears spilled down my cheeks.

"Phil?" He gasped with a tone of shock and I looked at him with eyes of regret.

"Pearce, I'm sorry. I can't."

Pearce's eyes shone with the layer of tears that formed, the moonlight creating a vibrant blue glow over his eyes.

"It's okay Phil. I wasn't expecting you to feel such a way. I'm sorry I put myself over you like that."

He let go of me and turned away, walking into his room and shutting the door quietly.

I sighed and clutched onto his jacket harshly, my knuckles turning pale and my bones lining the middle of them.

I walked over to the sofa and allowed myself to fall onto it, resting my head in my hands and rubbing the tears around my eyes.

"God, why is it so complicated?" I asked as I continued to stress, my thoughts running wild through my head as my face heated up, my skin presumably a tinge of pink from the tears.

"Phil?" I looked up to see a brown haired figure sitting alongside me, his eyes a deep brown colour, darkness shading the bottom of them.

I questionably looking at him, trying to grasp onto who this person was.

I shook my head, "How did you get here? Who are you?" I looked back into his eyes and he smiled, letting out a laugh.

His laugh seemed much too familiar, I knew this very well.

"W-wait, Dan?" He nodded, smiling and his dimples indented his cheeks.

"Hi Phil." I felt a lump in my throat and more tears running down my already damp cheeks and I wanted to hug him.

"Wait, but are you a figment of my imagination or are you for real?"

"Real." He stated and I hugged him, feeling strange to know that I had hugged a spirit, how could I feel him? Smell him even?

His earthy smell caught my senses as I nuzzled my head onto his shoulder, "I love you Phil, you know that right?" He said with shaky breaths.

"I remember, Dan. You told me a few nights ago."

I felt a beam of happiness surround the room.

"God Phil, I wish I could really be here with you, just to be able to hold your hand for real, people to see the love we have for each other, you know? See the sunset by the crappy beach outside the city with you."

"Me too Dan, me too."

Then suddenly he vanished and I felt nothing.

I looked around for signs but he definitely disappeared from my sight.

Just then Pearce walked in, cigarette between his fingers and he walked over to the table where an ashtray sat and he pressed the butt onto it, letting small wisps of smoke rise.

I sat silently as he did too, he allowed himself to sit next to me, the sofa pressing down a bit from the extra weight and he lay his head back, his tear stained eyes obvious as he sighed, swallowing the lump in his throat.

"I'm sorry again Phil."

"Please don't be."