9

I watched the clock as the second hand moved around the clock, passing each line with every quick motion.

I constantly tried acting frustrated or tired as I blankly stared at my unfinished work, trying to convince my co-workers that I was definitely not okay.

I laid my head on the desk and breathed heavily as I let the instructions Dan had typed out for me earlier waved through my head, constant reminders to find a new shoebox to place the board in rather than use the old black box it was formerly contained in.

It cannot be an easy giveaway.

I felt someone lightly tap me on the shoulder and I thought fast and slowly rose my head off of the desk, faced by Josh.

"Hey Phil, you doing alright?" he asked, a hint of concern on his face shown by the slight raise in his eyebrows and the slow motion of him lightly biting the inside of his cheek.

"Actually, I'm not Josh. I'm just so traumatised over Kay's death and all, I just can't stop thinking about how I couldn't save him and..." That's where Josh stopped me and faced his large frame towards the boss' office.

"You need some rest Phil. I'll inform the boss and get back to you." He said before scurrying toward the door and entering the room.

I sat back and sighed, hoping to get out and retrieve any items necessary to fend the house from the poltergeist... For now.

Josh rushed back and slung my bag up on his shoulder for me and smiled.

"Hey, he told me it's best that I help you back home. Better safe than sorry, right?"

I nodded as I slowly stood up, remembering my act as Josh helped me turn off my computer completely before earning a few comforting messages from co-workers knowing this will most likely be the only time I will ever have this feeling in the office, and most likely the last time people will ever be so pitiful for me.

As we walked, I hung my head low until we passed a store.

Colourful lanterns hanging from every corner, lamps illuminating the inside of the small shop and assortments of sparkling jewellery that shone under the warm lights. And most of all, the aroma of sandalwood wafting through the air as we stood.

"Phil, is there something you need?" Josh interrogated as I snapped back to my senses and faced him.

"The aroma of sandalwood, it calms me. Could we go pick some up?"

Josh hesitated for a moment until nodding, remembering my situation.

"Uh, yeah. Sure."

We wandered into the shop, admiring the reflections the glass gave off on the walls and how every piece sold in the shop had intricate details, most likely one you could mot replicate.

"Explains the price tags." I mumbled at the thought.

"Hello sir, may I help you?" A short lady asked with a sweet smile complimenting her bright features.

"Hello, do you sell any sandalwood incense by chance?"

"Why yes we do, hold on." She went to the back of the shop and returned shortly after with a small bag and placed it on the counter.

"This is what you want, yeah?" she asked as the opened the bag, revealing several sticks that contained the essence that I needed.

"Yes, exactly what I needed, how much?"

As she told me the price I fished around for my wallet in my pant pocket but remembered, my bag was with Josh.

"Uh, excuse me. Please wait a moment, I just need to get my wallet." I said before rushing off to find Josh, who was admiring various ornaments that hung from thin pieces of string.

I immediately saw my brown wallet sticking out from the front pocket of my bag as my bag swung with Josh's motion.

I quickly snatched my wallet from my bag and went back to pay the lady for the incense.

"Thank you, have a great day!"

I nodded as I tapped Josh's back, signalling that we had to walk home.

He shrugged and walked out onto the street again, immediately having the reflex to stretch his arms out after being in the crammed space for five minutes.

"Let's get you home now, shall we Phil? I don't want the boss thinking I ditched work to be with you." he laughed, facing me as I responded with a small smile,  planning a perfect hiding spot for the board .