0

I unlocked the door to reveal my two flatmates sitting on the sofa, watching a football game that had the volume turned up so loud that it caused the cheering of the fans on the TV screen to come close to deafening me.

It was a common night ritual for them, nothing unusual.

I took no interest in the game whatsoever and proceeded to enter the kitchen. preparing my dinner of frozen pasta that I had retrieved from the fridge.

Footsteps were heard behind me and there they were, my flatmates, Jack and Kay.

"Phil! How was work?" Jack started as I placed my dinner into the microwave.

"Ah, the usual. Constantly being shoved around and getting crap for unfinished work. You?"

The two boys looked at each other and exchanged smiles.

"You'll never believe what we found at the store today!" Kay exclaimed and my eyebrow raised.

"Uh, what exactly did you find? You were never as excited about vegetables until now, what's going on?" I joked and they shook their heads.

"No, no. We did not find a new specimen of vegetable. More like... You'll see."

The microwave beeped and I pulled out the steaming plate that held my pasta, I placed it down on the counter then the electricity went out.

"Guys, did you forget to pay the bills again? I swear to God..." then I could make out a figure in the kitchen, Kay I think it was, placing several tea light candles on the table.

Is this some new ritual they came up with... Before I eat microwaveable frozen pasta?

I stared, confused with the current situation and I heard a match being struck, and a small flame lightened Kay's face as he started transferring the flame onto the wicks of the small candles and created a warm glow around the kitchen.

Jack came back with a black box, placing it on the centre of the table and slowly retrieving the unknown object from the box.

I quietly ate my pasta in anticipation of what was in the box, I was oh so very curious of what these boys had managed to get out of that small supermarket downstairs.

Once Jack had managed to pull it out of the box, he placed it on the table and sat down beside Kay.

It was a board, various numbers, letters and phrases engraved into the wood along with a pointer with what appeared to be a magnifying glass in the middle of it.

I swallowed my pasta before taking a seat.

"So, what is it?"

Their lips formed a smile and Jack folded his hands on the small table and looked me straight in the eyes.

"Phil, let's play a game called ouija."