8

Returning to work later on today went a lot smoother than I thought it would.

Co-workers left and right eyed me with pitiful looks as I walked to my desk and slumped on my chair before switching on my laptop.

The feeling of burning stares faded as people went back to their own business and leaving me to grieve as my computer took its time to reboot, obviously not understanding that I had work that has yet to be done.

Tapping on my desk as the software updated, I decided to walk around a bit, expecting the updates to be gone and done with by the time I return.

I walked towards the water dispenser and inspected the floor where the water had overflowed onto a few days back.

There was a still slightly damp but it should be dry in a few days.

I filled up a cup and held it, resting my hand on a nearby desk and leaning, sipping on the bland drink.

The small cup of liquid was finished within seconds, and imagining of the updates that were most probably still loading up on the screen, I felt it was not yet time to return to my seat.

I grabbed another few cups which in the span of five minutes I had finished about eight small paper cups worth of water and my stomach already felt bloated.

Disposing the small paper cone into the trash bin I walked back to my seat, careful not to trip on anything, or sometimes nothing in my case of being one of the clumsiest people ever.

I let out a sigh of relief when I saw that my computer had loaded the login screen which allowed me to immediately type in my login details and get into my work as soon as possible.

As my screen loaded I opened up the notepad application and saw a blank page.

Funny Dan hadn't showed up yet, I was expecting him to have typed me a message already.

Closing the tab I opened up my folder to retrieve any paperwork that needed to be handed in by later today.

Suddenly my notepad screen overlapped my word document and letters were being typed.

Phil?

I typed up a quick response.

Is there something wrong?

The letters appeared every second as he formed a sentence.

Have you encountered any demonic figures lately?

I thought about it for a while, could he be referring to the thing that killed Kay this morning?

I raised my fingers above my keyboard for a while thinking of a response until I felt someone coming up behind me.

I quickly closed the tab and typed up random phrases relating to the topic of the paper work to appear like I was working before the person had approached me.

I hand gripped my shoulder and I turned my head to see my boss, a pitiful look on his face.

"Hello sir, is there something you need ?" I asked him and he slid his hand off my shoulder and proceeded to place it behind his back, grasping his other hand.

"Again, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I just wanted to see that you were alright."

"Oh it's fine. It's nice of you to check up on me, thank you." I said as he displayed on his face a small smile before walking back into his office, allowing me to open the notepad tab once again revealing another message from Dan.

I know you're busy at the moment but hear me out. Your friends have unleashed a poltergeist into your apartment and you should watch out because he can be tricky and is set out to kill everyone in the area until he finds what he wants.

My eyes widened as I typed up my reply.

Dan, does this 'poltergeist' you speak of have glowing red eyes paired with crackled skin?

Yes, and he is out to kill you, Phil. Be careful.

I rested my head on my hands as I thought of the situation.

I talked to him last night.

Am I falling for his trap?

No, I can't be.

But he is tricky.

What if he's already lured me into his plan?

When is he plotting to kill me ?

What is he after?

After the last question popped in my head, I immediately interrogated Dan.

Dan, what is he after?

I closed the notepad tab for a while as I continued my work for about five minutes before checking back on the screen.

The board Phil, that's where the portal between the mortal and spirit world meet, once opened, it could attract more sprits or in some cases demons into the mortal world.

I watched as he continued typing at a moderate pace before allowing myself to react to the information he was providing me.

Phil, here is something I need you to do. Try and get out of work early, preferably before nightfall, and purchase some sandalwood incense and light them up in every room of the apartment. This will rid the house of any evil spirits lurking around for a while. Then find a hiding spot for the board. Keep it safe Phil, until you manage to find my body and bring me back into the mortal world to help you, please do this for me.

I read through his request and looked at the time.

11:38 am

I looked back at the screen and summarised my plan in my head.

Ok, I will leave at one telling my boss that I don't feel well and I will immediately do everything as asked, except for the part about finding your body for now, okay?

He slowly typed his final note to me which cause a smile to appear on my face.

Thank you, Phil.