028

The call ended a while ago, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Samantha was really back, and she was about to make the kids know who she was. I know her. When she wants something, she doesn't stop until she gets it.

"Sorry about that, Grace," I said. Both of Samantha's calls had ruined my whole day. I was more than just pissed now. "That was her just now."

I whispered, "I'm worried."

"Don't be," Grace whispered. "Harry, it'll be fine. Who knows if she'll even come?"

I whispered, "I don't know."

I ran my hands through my curls frustratedly and looked up at Grace, "But thank you, Grace. For just being here. I don't know how I would've handled this if you weren't here."

Gracie sent me a sweet smile. "It's no problem, Harry."

"Thank you."

"Right." Grace nodded. She changed the topic, "Have you eaten all your ice cream? What do you want to do next?"

"Grace? Harry?" We heard an all-too-familiar voice ask.

"Oh Geez," Gracie covered her face, hiding herself from her mother.

"Harry! She's supposed to be in school!" Erin was here. She put her hands on her hips as she glared at me. "What's going on here? You are supposed to be at school!"

Gracie put her hand over her face. "Mum, please don't do this here. There are people around."

"Harry, care to explain?" Erin crossed her arms over her chest, glaring at me. I gulped. Damn it, what was she going here? "You know that Grace is supposed to be in school! How could you let her ditch?"

"I'm sorry—"

Erin was mad. "How many times have you ditched school, Grace? I can't believe this."

I replied, "This is the first time, I swear. I just felt bad for her, Erin. She didn't want to go so I took her out to eat ice cream with me."

"I don't care! She is supposed to be in school! You can't let her push you around like this, Harry!" Erin said. "I'm so disappointed in you both."

Gracie asked. "What are you even doing here? Don't you have work?"

"I'll be asking the questions, young lady." Erin sent her daughter a glare. If looks could kill, we'd both be dead by now. "You are coming with me right now and going to school."

Grace said, "It isn't his fault. I was the one who convinced him."

"I believe you. You're too nice to her." Erin shook her head at me. "You're letting her get her way. You're not supposed to let her skip school."

"I know, and I'm sorry." I apologized, standing up. "But neither of this is her fault. It's all mine. I'm sorry, Erin."

Grace said, "No, it's obviously mine. He encouraged me to go."

"It's . . It's fine." Erin sighed, helping Gracie get up. "Just go to work, Harry. Grace can come with me. I'll drop her to school. We'll see you in the evening."