Prologue

"Let's have a hand for all of our new police officers who graduated from the academy this year!"

Everyone cheers and claps which makes me unable to hold back my happiness. I smile my wide smile and then our training sergeant tells us that we can exit the stage to collect our badges. We all stand and line up to get our envelopes containing our badges and job assignments. When I receive mine I thank the woman and walk briskly to the back of the auditorium where I see my Aunt Trudy waiting for me. When I arrive she envelops me in a huge hug and says, "Look at you Officer Platt! How does it feel?"

"Fantastic! Thank you for coming. Piper had a track meet so Mom and Dad both went to that."

She smiles and says, "It was my pleasure. It means so much to know that you became an officer because of me so the least I could do is show up."

I smile and then someone comes to speak with her. After they finish their conversation she turns back tome and says, "Well what are you waiting for? Open the envelope!"

I smile and break the seal. I first pull out the paper, quickly scan it, and say, "I'm going to the 23rd district. Turns out I was first on their list."

She squeezes my hand and says, "That's fantastic. I would've loved to have you at 21 but I'm glad you're going somewhere where they really want you."

I agree and then pull out my badge. I run my finger over the four small numbers. 07417. I hand it to Aunt Trudy to look at and then she pins it to my uniform. Once it's securely in place she says, "Welcome to the Chicago Police Department Officer Platt."

I smile and say, "Thank you kindly Sergeant Platt. I'm honored to be here."

She smiles at me and then we exit the academy together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AHHHHH!!!!! I'm actually so excited for this story so thanks to all of you who said you would read it! Have a good weekend! -Becca