Chapter 22

Jacob crept up behind Connie, who was stood in the kitchen, facing the window.
She was deep in thought.

Jacob slid his hands around Connie's front and placed them on her lower abdomen.
"I still can't believe it!"
Jacob kissed her cheek then rested his head on her shoulder.
Connie managed a small smile before removing Jacob's hands and stepping away from him.
The two of them hadn't really talked about the baby since Connie had told him in his office yesterday.
Jacob couldn't help but notice that Connie was unusually jumpy today
"Is everything alright Connie?"
"Yeah... Just we need to talk about this, don't you think? I mean we have options to consider..."
Jacob was shocked at what Connie was suggesting. He had no doubt that they were going to have this baby. He was looking forward to having the chance to be a father again.
"What are you saying? You don't want our baby?"
"I just think we really need to discuss this... I don't know if I'm ready to be a mother, I mean I'm not exactly the maternal type" she took a deep breath and studied Jacob's face, he looked hurt.
"Connie, you can do this" he looked down and spoke quietly. "I didn't have the chance to save Charlotte's life. I'm not letting this little one go as well"

Connie sighed. There was no way she could take this away from Jacob.
She forced a smile. "You're right, I'm being stupid"
Jacob grabbed his brief case from the table and gave her a smile.
"Right, I have to get to work now. I will see you later"
He turned back around in the doorway before he left. "And my baby"

The words were ready in Connie's head, but she couldn't bring herself to say them.
It's not your baby