Chapter 8

Jacob pulled away and began to readjust his clothing. "right I really have to go now"
"We have only been here 5 minutes, surely you can spare 5 more minutes Jay..." the woman teased as she ran her hands down his chest and abdomen.
He considered his options.
He had just been informed that there had been a major car accident and been called to resus. That was 5 minutes ago. He should have already been there by now.
But he couldn't resist her. They'll find another consultant he thought as he passionately re attached his lips to hers and pushed her backwards, pinning her against the wall of the store room.

10 minutes later, Jacob finally left and headed back to the emergency department of the local hospital where he worked as a consultant.
He saw Zoe approaching him in the corridor, she didn't look happy. Zoe was a fellow consultant and also a good friend.
Jacob rolled his eyes as he prepared to get lectured about punctuality and professionalism.
"Jacob, where on earth have you been? You were called to resus 20 minutes ago. Did you get lost on the way?"
"Just got a bit caught up with something. What's up with the solemn face today Zo? You really need to lighten up a bit"
"Jacob, I need to talk to you"
Jacob had never seen Zoe so serious. What is up with her, he thought.
"I know you're only looking out for me, but I'm not in the mood to be lectured about..."
"Jacob" Zoe's voice wobbled as she spoke his name.
"Zoe what's wrong? Has something happened?" Talk to me Zo" Jacob was concerned for Zoe now.
Zoe took a deep breath.
"It's Charlotte, she was involved in the car accident. I'm so sorry Jacob. We couldn't save her. We did everything we could, I promise, but her injuries were too serious."
Jacob's world came crashing down around him.
His little girl had gone.
He should have been there, in the ED when she arrived.
He should have gone to resus as soon as he was informed.
He could have helped treat her.
He might have saved her.