20

Teresa's POV

"Well, we're here," I said, looking at Aris who didn't take his eyes off Tom.

"Yep, we're here, all right. You're serious about him talking the others into sparing him? What is he, some kind of superpsychologist?" He asked me.

"It kind of helped, actually. Made it easier to get him here." I said throwing a condescending glance at Tom, then crossed the cave to walk towards Aris. I could see Tom watching me as I slowly gave a small meaningless kiss on Aris' cheek. He looks at me with a smile and I return the smile back. "I'm so glad we're finally back together." I told him through my teeth. I had to stop the anger that was going through me or else Thomas wouldn't believe anything.

Aris grinned even bigger now. He shot Tom a look of warning, before leaning towards me to kiss me on the lips. This was all apart of the plan something that I didn't like. As soon as he made contact I pulled back.

Thomas tore his eyes away immediately not noticing the fact that I pulled away from Aris. I gave Aris a look of shock but he just shook his head and pointed to the slip of paper that was hidden within my grasp.

"Get it over with," Tom finally said, not daring to open his eyes again. It seems as if he didn't want to know what we were doing, why we were quiet. "Just get it over with."

"You have to keep up this act." Aris whispered before kissing my jaw. "We have to do this." He told me kissing my cheek.

"No we don't." I said. "We can end this now."

"Fine." He said before pecking my lips.

I gave him a threatening look before turning my attention to Tom. He was looking away again. I followed his gaze. He was focusing on the odd source of light in the back of the cave. A large rectangle of pale green, set into the dark stone, that glowed brightly. Stains streaked across its dull surface—a grimy window to something that looked like radioactive.

I stepped away from Aris and looked at Tom. His eyes were filled with hurt, I could see it, I could feel his pain with the look he gave me. He must of thought that the kiss meant something when in reality it didn't.

"Tom," I finally spoke up for the silence. "If it helps, I'm really sorry I hurt you. I did what I had to do back in the Maze, it seemed like my best shot. And I didn't have much choice here in the Scorch with Jo. All we had to do was get you here to pass the Trials WCKD had for us. And it's either you or us."

I paused for a second, gazing my act back. "Aris has helped me a lot he is my best friend, Tom," I said calmly, evenly.

And that was what finally made Thomas crack. "I ... don't ... care!" he screamed.

"I'm just saying. If you care about me, then you should understand why I'd be willing to do whatever it takes to make it through this and keep him safe." I tried calming him down, even if it was with more lies. "Wouldn't you have done the same for me?"

"What is this? Are you trying to come up with all the ways possible in the universe to hurt me? Just shut your shuck mouth and do whatever it is you brought me here to do!" His chest heaved with angry breaths, and I could literally see his heart thumping at a deadly pace.

"Fine," I told him. "Aris, let's open the door. Time for Tom to go." I turned as quick as possible so he couldn't see my hurt expression.

I walked across the cave until I reached the stone wall, I looked at the piece of paper and started punching a code on the keypad that was in front of me. When I finished up I stepped back towards Tom and Aris.

"We'll see if that actually works," Aris said.

"It will," I replied.

A loud pop sounded, followed by a sharp hiss. We watched as the right edge of the glass began to swing outward like a door. As it opened, wispy streams of white mist swirled through. It was like a long-abandoned freezer releasing its cold air into the heat of the night.

The door finally stopped, thumping with an icy screech against the wall of jagged rock. A pit of black now lay where the door had once been—there wasn't enough light to reveal what lay inside. The mist had completely stopped as well.

"Do you have a flashlight?" I asked.

Aris pulled off his backpack and dug through its contents. A moment later he pulled out a flashlight and flicked it on.

Aris nodded back toward the opening. "Take a look while I watch him. Don't try anything, Thomas. I'm pretty sure what they have planned for you is easier than getting stabbed to death."

I had stepped up to the side of the gaping rectangular hole; I shone his flashlight inside. I moved my hand through the air so I cut through the mist to reveal the interior.
It was a small room, only several feet deep. Its walls appeared to be made of some silvery metal, their surfaces broken up by small protrusions maybe an inch high, each ending in a black hole. The little knobs or spouts were set about five inches apart, making a square grid across the walls. This place was surprising me more and more. I turned to Aris, flicking off the flashlight.

"Looks about right," he said.

Aris snapped his head back to look at Tom, who had been so focused on the strange room he'd missed another chance to do something. "Exactly like they said it would be."

"So ... I guess this is it?" I asked.

Aris nodded, then switched his knife to the other hand, holding it more tightly. "This is it. Thomas, be a good boy and go on inside. Who knows, maybe this is all a big test and once you're in they'll let ya go and we can all have a happy reunion."

"Shut up, Aris," I said. It was actually the one thing I wanted to say this whole entire time that I was with him. I then turned back to Tom, avoiding his eyes. "Let's get this over with."

Aris waved his blade, indicating that Thomas should walk forward. "Come on. Don't make me drag you in."

A/N: Double update because you all deserve it waiting so long for me to write a couple measly words. Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it.

Kayla