16

Newts POV

"I have to go in there I can't just leave him there to suffer." Giselle cried.
"I know but trust me it's better if you aren't in there." I said grabbing her shoulders. "I know what it's like to see someone you care about suffering like that. Just like right now."

Giselle looked at me and cried even harder. I pulled her into a hug trying to comfort her the best I could. I'm not sure if she understood that I hated seeing her hurt. I'm suffering because she's suffering for Vince. This morning, when he was going to reveal his plan to get Thomas and stop WCKD, was put on hold because his wound got infected overnight. He was now being treated by an official medjack, or doctor, who said that his chances of him getting better were very slim.

My worries also went out to Aris. The poor chap, he has been missing ever since he found out about Vince's infection. Some say that he ran out of the gates blaming himself for Vince's condition. I just hope that the lad comes back safe.

"Thank you Newt." I heard Giselle mumble into my chest, after her sobs subsided.
"I'm always here for you, don't ever forget that." I told her as she lifted her gaze to meet mine.

Our face were just inches apart. I could have sworn that she was leaning in because I could feel her breath on my face, so I closed my eyes and patiently waited for her lips to touch mine.

"Giselle."

We both jumped and she pulled back quickly, clearing her throat. Our heads turned to the voice that had interrupted what could have been an intimate moment and saw the medjack come out of the tent.

"How is he?" Giselle asked.
"He's...alive," she said slowly, wiping her bloody hands with a wet cloth. "but it's too soon to tell. You can see him if you want though. I suggest you do so before he falls back asleep."

She didn't have to tell her twice because Giselle ran into that tent faster than a crank.

"Hey Olivia, thanks for helping him." I said stopping her before she walked away.
"It's my job. I try to help anyone I can that needs it." She smiled sincerely.  I let her go and walked towards the tent. "Oh hey Newt?" I heard Olivia call out to me. "Yeah?" I asked turning back to her. "Sorry if I interrupted anything that could have happened." She winked before walking away.

I went into the tent and saw Vince laying awake on the bed with Giselle by his side. He was shirtless but there was a cloth wrapped around him, covered in blood where his wound was.

"Ah Newt what you doin' standing over there. Come 'ere." His speech was a bit groggy from the drugs but was still understandable. I walked over to the opposite side of the bed from Giselle and crouched down to him. "You have to 'ear my plan boy. Not everyone was going to agree but is the only way for Thomas." I laughed internally at his words and payed close attention to his next ones. "I have friends. On the other side of the mountin' I've contacted 'em and they agree to the plan...we just have...to...tell...everyone." Vince soon drifted back into his sleep but managed to get his words out.

"You think he will be alright?" Giselle asked after a few minutes of silence. 

I wanted to say yes. I wanted to hug her and hold her. Tell her that he was going to be okay because he was strong and could make it through anything. I wanted to assure that everything was fine. That I was there for her no matter what and show her, that I, well love her.

"Newt? Did you hear what I said?" She asked me taking me out of my thoughts.
"Yeah I did." I told her trying to find the right words in the process.
"He's like a dad to me. Like Brenda and Jorge. Even though it doesn't seem like that we have that relationship." She said looking at Vince's face. "He grew up with Mary you know. They had always loved each other but were to afraid to say anything until a couple weeks ago. Now my aunt is dead. Mary's dead and he's all I have left of her. He can't leave not just yet." She leaned in closer to Vince her eyes filling up with tears again. "You can't leave me yet." She whispered tears falling down her face.

"No don't cry." I said walking over to her, around the bed. "Don't cry again love." I said wiping her tears with my thumbs. She smiled at the nickname which came out naturally. "I hate seeing you cry like this it pains me to see you ruin your beautiful face." I told her closing the distance between us.

Her face dropped as she wiped her face with her hands and stepped back away from my grasp. "Then why don't you do something about it Newt." She said bitterly. "What?" I asked confused at the sudden turn this conversation had taken.  "God you are just so ugh-" she groaned walking out of the tent. I followed her out of the tent still feeling confused. "Giselle slow down!" I yelled after her, but she kept walking away from me. I finally caught up to her and grabbed her wrist.

"What are you talking about?" I scoffed. She rolled her eyes and pulled her wrist out of my hand. "I-I just ugh Newt. You're impossible. Ever since you helped me fight the cranks I felt, something different, something I never felt before and..." She ran both her hands and rested her hands around her neck. "You just don't seem to see it. All the little things I do and say and that confuses me because you do the same things. I mean what are we Newt? Are we friends? Could we be more than just friends? You probably don't think the same but you look at me the way Thomas looks at Teresa. Okay that's a bad example considering what is happening to them but you just-"

I moved forward and kissed her on the lips, cutting off her rambling. It was a soft meaningful kiss, not a passionate and hungry one. My stomach was instantly filled with butterflies at contact and I felt my breathing stop. I wanted to show her how I felt and this was the only way. It seemed to last forever and I don't think I would have minded if it did. She pulled away first. Her chest moved up and down quickly as she tried to catch her breath.

"I've felt the same way." I told her. "I just didn't know if you felt the same way too."
"I don't." She said. "Wait you don't?" I said my heart dropping with every word. "Ha! Got you Newt you are to easy." I felt a wave of relief when I heard her say that. "Don't do that love you made my heart break into pieces." I said putting my hand against my heart. "Well let me fix that for you." She said before joining our lips together once again.

"Newt there you are, oh!"

Once again a moment we were having was rudely interrupted.  I turned to see behind me Frypan, covering the side of his face. "Fry are you alright?" I asked him. "No man the craziest thing happened but I'm sorry for interrupting." He said making me feel embarrassed. "It's okay." I sighed. "What happened to you?" Frypan removed his hand from his face and reviled a swollen eye. "It was Aris. He attacked me and took away all of my supplies, even my knife." He said answering every question I had. "Let's go get that checked out then." I told him as we all walked back to the medjack tent.

Giselle discretely held my hand on the way there and I held it tightly not wanting to let go. When we made it to the tent Vince was still asleep but Olivia was back in the tent. After explaining everything that happens to Frypan to Olivia, she put some ointment on his eye.

"Why would he do something like this? He seemed like such a good kid?" Giselle wondered. "I don't know but you want to know what the last thing he told me?" Frypan asked us. We nodded in response and waited for him to speak up again.

"He said WCKD is good."

A/N: Late update, but still an update. This was an interesting part of the story, or did you already see this coming? Don't you worry because Thomas and Teresa will get there moment. When? Not as soon as we would all like, but it will happen trust me. I hope you all enjoyed it! Thanks for reading!

Kayla