1

Teresa's POV

It's been a couple weeks since we left the rebels camp. Rumor has it that WCKD went back and they are no longer there. Minho is still here, acting like his stubborn self. He doesn't understand what we are trying to do and what I sacrificed along the way. Everyday he tells me why he hates me but I've learned to block him out and continue on to find the cure. I'm surprised he is still here. Minho's words are always in the back of my mind they don't want him they wanted Thomas. I still miss Tom and everyone. Seeing their faces when they found out my involvement with WCKD, killed me inside but I had a good reason why I did what I did. My nightmares/dreams are getting more vivid. They are about when I told Tom why I called WCKD. I was warning him to run away from me but then Jo knocked him out, he didn't move or wake up and that's the end of it. Jo reminds me when I have my dreams and sometimes nightmares that they aren't real, despite being so life like. She is more distant than ever, we rarely speak about anything and when we do it's quick. I have a feeling that something is going on and no one is telling me. I'm having doubts. Should I have doubts? We are doing everything we thought we should be doing but something at the back of my head is telling me otherwise. Just like my reoccurring dreams. Other than that we are getting closer to finding a cure which is a great thing. We used Mary's method and once we found out that Minho was immune. Minho's blood was used to complete it. We just see if it works.

My writing was stopped by a knock on the door. I shoved the book under my bed and went towards my door. Jo greeted me with a smile as I opened the door.

"Are you ready?" She asked.
"Yeah let me get my ID and jacket." I told as I closed the door a bit. I grabbed my things and I closed the door.
"How did you sleep?" She asked
"Good no dreams or nightmares about him."
"That's good."

We continued to walk in silence. After we left the Red Arms camp she just kind of close off. She became Counselor Paige's head of security along with Janson and she didn't even tell me. She is now determined more than ever to find the cure, even more than me.

"How's the new gear?" I asked breaking the silence.
"It's perfect. It's lightweight and easy to take on and off. You did good kid." I gave her a questioning look at the mention of my new nickname.
"What not a good nickname?" She said quickly.
"No. You always call me Dee, mom." I shoved her playfully.

I started staring at Jo for some reason. She looked completely different from me. Her round face, her light brown hair, and her dark eyes made her seem like a stranger next to me. Her uniform made her look like an adult and our 4 year difference didn't help.
"You are staring."
"Sorry you just look so old, so grown up."

She let out a genuine laugh, something I didn't hear in a long time. She scanned her ID then I scanned mine and we walked into a hallway. We ended up going to the back room where Counselor Paige was yelling at someone.

"I don't care! Do what you have to do even if it means killing 20 kids!" She seemed angry and tired as she yelled at the man. He gave her a nod and exited right next to us. When Counselor Paige saw us she quickly composed herself and smiled. 

"Thank you Jo. Teresa please sit, we have to discuss about the cure." She said pointed at an empty chair.

I listened to her and took my seat while Jo stood next to the door. Counselor Paige handed me a file like hers that had the progress report and trials of the cure.

"Wow we are so close." I smiled but it started going away after I saw some lines that were crossed off.
"Yes we are, thanks to your method that you brought back from the rebels camp." She said. "Now once we have it figured out we just need to find out how to give it to the people in the scorch."
"Um Counselor? Why are these crossed off?" I asked her.

She gave the file a quick glance then continued reading her file.
"Somethings you don't need to know. At least not yet."
"With all due respect I think I deserve to know. I mean I am the one who brought you this and I have been loyal from the beginning." After I said that I felt like a weight has been lifted from me.
"Don't think I haven't noticed the little things around here that you do. Stopping conversations when I walk into the room, not filling me in on everything, or even taking my sister slowly away from me." I moved my head slightly to see Jo. She looked at me and she seemed like she wanted to say something but she didn't.

Our conversation was interrupted by the door opening up. Janson walked through the door with a small device in his hand looking very annoyed.

"Sorry for the intrusion Ava but a silent alarm was triggered." He said as he showed her the small device. "Who ever they are they disabled all video cameras and we have no idea where they are. We have idiots working on the cameras right now but it will be a day by the time we figured out who is in here." He said angrily.

"Can't you just send men to every important area here?" Jo asked.
"We already did that but nothing has been reported."
"I think I can fix the cameras." I said as I got up from my seat, a bit to quickly.
"Really? You?" Janson asked surprised.
"Yes me. The time I have spent here I picked up a thing or two about the cameras. I could go if it's okay with you Counselor?"

She nodded and Jo came with me.
"Listen Teresa the way you acted back there was unacceptable."
"Are you serious right now?" I scoffed. "Everything I said back there is true you know. That's how I feel and everyday I feel like I made a mistake by picking up that walkie talkie."

Jo grabbed my arm and pulled me to a random room, that was conveniently empty.
"Look I'm sorry you feel that way but you made the right choice."
"That's what you always tell me."
"Well it's the truth. We are doing good here and I just can't believe that your losing sight of that."
"I'm not!" I snapped. "It's just I feel like ever since I got here WCKD has changed and changed us." She looked at me in a confusing way.

"It used to be DeeDee and Alice. The Carter sisters and it was for a while but now, now it's just Teresa Agnes and Joan Arc. Workers of WCKD." I sighed and walked away from her. 
Apart of me regret saying that but a bigger part of me felt like I needed to. After everything that happened in the scorch I felt like we weren't the same that we used to be.

I walked over to the control room with Jo right behind me. There were a couple people in there who seemed to know what they were doing but they were arguing a lot. I didn't want to interrupt so I just stood there not doing anything.

"Hey!" Jo yelled grabbing their attention. "Go settle what ever problems you guys have else where!"
"On whose orders?" The girl asked.
"On mine." Jo flashed her badge. The girl rolled her eyes and dragged the guy with her. "I'm gonna watch the door." She told me before leaving me alone.

I looked over at the screens. They were black with WCKD in the center of it. I pressed a couple of keys that started a reboot, nothing. I tired several different commands before they slowly started turning on one by one. After the third camera loaded up I was going to call Jo but someone was in camera 4. I grabbed the controls and zoomed in closer. He had his back towards the camera and was typing at a keypad.

He seemed familiar. His build and even the back of his head made him look like. "Tom?" I whispered to myself. As if he heard me he turned and looked directly into the camera before going out the opening door and into the scorch.

I quickly checked the outdoor cameras and saw him with Brenda, Jorge and Newt. They were running away from the facility becoming smaller on my screen. I slumped on my chair trying to make sure that what I saw was real. What were they doing here? We're they trying to get Minho? Or did they come here for the cure?

Why were they here?

-----------------------------------

A/N: First part done! I hope you all enjoy it!