10

Teresa's POV

Resting was a smart decision. I wasn't ready physically or emotionally to continue on to god knows where, doing what I was doing. Tom, who was a couple yards away out of his bag, seemed to have fallen asleep. No matter how hard I tried to look at him I couldn't. Guilt would wash over me for every glance I took.

WCKD was most likely watching me during my encounter with the former gladers and if I even tried to help them in anyway, someone would have died. It's to protect him. Every punch, every hateful word was one step closer in having him alive, but it was also one step closer losing him as my best friend.

I looked away trying to distract my mind. Everyone was checking their guns, eating or just resting. I got up and walked towards Kristina who was on the look out.

"Hey how's everything?" I asked as I came up from behind her.
"Besides being a ticking time bomb? Everything has been smooth sailing for me but for you not so much huh?" She motioned over to Tom, who was still asleep.

I was surprised to hear her ask for my well-being, considering the fact that she's not my sister and that she could blow up at any moment.
"No everything is just going crazy." I sighed stabbing my spear into the dirt. "I don't know how we will ever get passed this."

"Some sisterly advice?" She asked me looking into the distance.
"Sure." I said as naturally as I could.
"He has been your best friend for most of your life and I have seen the way you look at each other. So I think that if he really cared about you in the past, then once he hears everything he'll probably forgive you. Maybe he will forgive you the moment you tell him or maybe he will forgive you years to come. All I know is that you will always be apart of each other's lives no matter what happens. As friends or possibly something more. So right now don't worry about the future. Worry about the present and keeping him alive."

Once again I was completely surprised by this girl. My mouth opened slightly but I closed it and gave her a smile.
"Wow that was very deep, but very helpful. Thank you Jo." I leaned in to give her a hug but she stopped me.

"I'd rather you not die with me if this decides to blow up." She chuckled.
"Right, we wouldn't want that."

"Hey did you guys hear that?"

One of the girls said as she got up. We were all now alert trying to listen for whatever it was that she heard. For a couple of seconds we heard nothing but the wind. Then I heard something, a small bang followed by another and another.

"Gunfire." A girl with short hair said. "And guess from where that was coming from?" She asked with a sly grin.

From the WCKD facility, where everyone was left behind. Everyone seemed to start celebrating at the thought of the rebellious gladers being chased down and killed. I felt my eyes get watery but I didn't let myself cry. I had to keep up my act to protect everyone so I walked over to Tom.

At first I tapped him with my foot on his shoulder but the didn't do anything and I knew that everyone would be looking at me by now. So I kicked him in his stomach, with a bit too much effort.

He gasped and let out a groan. His body automatically hunched over because his hands and feet were tied.

"Wake up I don't remember telling you that you could sleep." I picked him up and brought him to his knees. "You hear that?" I asked him pointing towards the WCKD facility.

The gunfire was still noticible thanks to the silence surrounding us. His eyes opened wide and then he looked over to me. "I swear Teresa that if you sent those WCKD agents-" I stopped him from threatening me by slapping him hard in his face. I heard some light snickering coming from my new team.

"I'm not that heartless Thomas. This a surprise to me as well but it's a pleasant one." I said before pushing him to the ground. "Tie him to the tree." I ordered.

Two girls ran up to Tom and tied him to the nearby tree. After a couple minutes of watching them tie him up I called everyone over.

"Okay so let's get this settled you are all?" I asked everyone.
"We are group B. I'm Sarah." A girl with long blonde hair said. 

Group B? Where did I hear that before? Group B, it was my group and Tom is from group A. This team was under control by WCKD for an automatic pass to safe haven after the maze. I remember vaguely being briefed about these girls being apart of my group after I got out of the maze. I wonder if they know everything that has happened these past couple of weeks.

"Right I'm apart of your group." I told them.
"Well technically you are our leader. I'm Lilly and all we have to do is what WCKD says and we are home free." The girl with short hair said.

"Any word on what we have to do with him?" Kristina asked.
"Well when I last heard from Counselor Paige she said that they set us up a camp for us and when we get there we will be provided with more information. Oh and if Thomas provides to be a problem for any of us we do whatever to get him to listen to us" Lilly told us.

"So I suggest that we should get some sleep and as soon as the sun is up we make our way to our coordinates." Sarah said.

"Sounds good." I told her. "I'll take first watch. We will each take shifts and we have to be by Thomas at all times and keep him quiet."

A small fire was started and everyone slowly started getting settled in and falling asleep. I was going to sit next to Thomas but I was stopped by Kristina.

"Hey you wanna know what I just found out?" She asked a little bit out of breath.
"Um if it's important."
"Okay well it turns out that all the girls have cameras somewhere on them. I don't know how or where they are but we are being watched at all times." She whispered.
"Do you have cameras on you?"
"No the only thing they managed to put on me was the bomb. Let's just say we aren't out of woods yet."

"Okay well get some sleep, I'll wake you when it's your turn."
"Alright good luck." She said before walking off to the group of girls.

I turned to see Tom, his head was turned facing the horizon. I hesitantly sat down next to him. He took a quick glance but he didn't even acknowledged me. I looked over to him and took a deep breath.

"I don't want to hear one word from you. No threats, no sarcastic comments, nothing are we clearly Thomas?"

No response. I leaned in closer to him and repeated my question again.
"Are we clear Thomas."
"Sorry I thought I wasn't suppose to talk." He stared at me not looking away.

I grabbed my spear and pointed it to his head.
"Not unless I ask you. Now. Are. We. Clear?" I said through my teeth.
"Yes." He said turning away.

I put my spear down next to me and I tried to ignore the tension that surrounded us. I wanted to tell Tom everything but the fear of WCKD finding out and even Kristina dying stopped me every time.

A/N: Finished!!! I kinda tied the movie with the book. I hope you all enjoyed it!

Kayla