14

Thomas' POV

After Teresa and Jo left the camp everyone started getting busy, surprisingly everyone found something to do. Me on the other hand, I had nothing to do so I did something to pass the time. I fell asleep. What I actually mean is that I fell asleep for about 2 minutes before I felt someone stare at me.

I lifted my head and opened my left eye. I saw Allyson and Cindy standing in front of me, staring. I felt like their stare was going to burn a hole in my head, so I spoke up.

"Can I help you ladies?" I asked curiously.

"What do they want with you?" Allyson questioned. "I mean what do you even know?"
"Nothing he knows nothing." Cindy said answering for me. "I mean if he did we would have already beaten the information out of him."
"No I don't think so. I think Ava Paige would rather do that to me herself." I told both of them.
"We want to know what you know," Allyson said quietly.
"Why should I help you?"

All of a sudden they just decide to show interest in me and what I know? Just hours ago they were laughing at my pain and humiliation. I had to be careful on what I do or say next.
"I don't think you have much choice," Cindy said. "But if you share whatever you've learned or figured out, maybe we can help you."
I quickly turned my head and looked around for Teresa but I couldn't see her. "Where is—"
"She is still scouting the area to see if your friends followed us. She will be back in a while don't worry, Jo is with her." Cindy told me.

What is it exactly that they want to know? How long will Teresa be gone? What if this is a trap don't they all have cameras on them? If I talk to them about what I know about everything that has happened, I don't even know what will happen to me. I'm probably going to die any way, so I should at least die trying to change their mind about WCKD.

"Earth to Thomas? Forget how to talk?"
My eyes focused on Cindy, her voice snapping me back into reality. "No, um ... does this mean you guys aren't going to killing me? Like you are having second thoughts or something?" I stopped my rambling at those questions. My questions sounded very stupid to me but it was something I needed to know.

Allyson smirked at me and for the first time she seemed unfriendly. "Don't go jumping to conclusions. And don't think we've gone all righteous. Let's just say we have our doubts and want to talk but your odds are slim."
Cindy picked up her line of thought. "The smartest thing right now seems to be to do what we were told. There are a lot more of us than you. I mean, come on. If it was your decision, what would you do?"
"Pretty sure I'd choose the option of not killing myself." I said quickly.
"Don't be a jerk. This isn't funny. If you could choose, and the two options were you die or all of us die, which one would you pick? This is all about you or us."

She was very serious, and for some reason the question hit me like a thump to my chest. She was right, on some level. If that really would happen they'd all die if they didn't get rid of me then how could he expect them not to do it?
"You gonna answer?" Cindy said, pushing me to answer.
"I'm thinking." I paused and used my shoulder to wipe the fast falling sweat. "Okay, so here me out, I'm being honest here. I promise. If I were in your shoes, I'd choose not to kill me."
Cindy rolled her eyes. "Easy for you to say, since it's your life on the line."
"It's not just that. I think it's some kind of test and maybe you're not really supposed to do it." I felt my heartbeat pick up as the words just rolled of my tongue.

I really did mean what I said, but I doubted they'd believe me even if I tried to explain it. "Maybe we should share what we know, maybe work something out."
Cindy and Allyson exchanged a long look and it worried me.
Allyson finally nodded and said, "We've had our doubts about this whole thing from the beginning. Something about it isn't right. So yeah, you better talk. But let us get everybody over here first." They stood up to go and get the others but I made a request before they left.
"Do you think that you can cut me loose?"