Chapter 23: Defend Niall

CHAPTER 23

*Janelle's P.O.V.*

I started making my way downstairs and I could hear the murmuring of everyone in the living room. As I reach the bottom of the stairs, I hear everyone fall silent. I glance at everyone and all their eyes are on me.

"Hey Ash. Hey Taylor," I say only acknowledging them as I put on my shoes. "I'm going out with Ashley. I'll probably be back early evening."

"Janelle...." I hear Louis say, but I ignore it. I step outside, slamming the door behind me.

"Hey !" Ashley shouted. Is she using my mom's car?

"What are you doing with my mom's car?" I ask Ashley as I get in.

"Oh um, your parents let me use it," she says starting the car.

"No offense, but why would they let you use it?"

"They're kind of letting Mark and I stay at the house until we're set to find our own place," she said nervously.

"Wait place? As in one place?" I ask turning to her. "Are you guys together?!"

"Sort of," she says, her cheeks turning a shade of pink.

"Since when?!"

"Since Mark and I teamed up to take down Aaron," she says sheepishly.

"I saw it coming," I say giving her a small smile.

"Oh really now?" she asks.

"Well I mean you guys were there for each other in the midst of Aaron's torture. You both needed someone to keep you good and sane. Sure I didn't believe that you guys had any good in you when I first found out, but without the both of you, I wouldn't have escaped Aaron and I sure wouldn't be free from him now," I say looking out my car window. Maybe I've already forgiven Ashley and Mark.

"Alright we're here," Ashley says parking the car. "I cannot wait to get my hands on skinny jeans, crop tops, and fashionable shoes!" She exits out of the car and comes around to grab a hold of me. Starts running off while I'm being dragged behind her by her. This is going to be a long day.

**********

"So tell me more about your new boyfriend, Ash," Ashley asks after taking a bite out of her food. We shopped in 10 different stores so far and Ashley claims that is she not done yet. We stopped to get lunch because I couldn't stop complaining about how hungry I was and how much my legs were hurting.

"What do you want to know?" I ask.

"How long have you guys been together? What's he like? Does he make you happy? All that stuff," she says laughingly.

"Well we've been together for about a year now. We just celebrated it a couple weeks ago. He's funny, caring, can be a little silly which is not bad," I say smiling, "Um he's also smart. He's actually an intern right now for one of the local businesses. And yeah, he makes me happy."

"Have you guys gotten in the love stage yet?"

"Yeah," I say with a sigh.

"Uh oh. That was a sigh. What does that mean?" she says wiping her mouth off and giving me her full attention.

"He's told me that he loves me, but I haven't said it back," that last part being softer than the first.

"Why not?"

"I... I don't know if I love him or not," I say, starting to pick at my nails.

"Is it... Is it because of Niall?" she asks. I knew that was going to pop up.