Chapter 22: Reunions of Sorts

CHAPTER 22

*Janelle's P.O.V.*

I walk to the mirror and look over  myself (http://www.polyvore.com/to_courthouse/set?id=189308443). Instead of going to the prison, Mark, Ashley, and my dad were being released at the courthouse because apparently I have to complete some paperwork since I was the victim to all of them and the people at the courthouse want to ensure that I feel safe with them being let out.

"Hey Janelle? You ready to go?" Taylor asks, popping behind me. I look at her through the mirror and nod. We both grab our things and we walk downstairs to see everybody else waiting. All their eyes and small smiles shifts towards me and all I could do was just give a small fake smile back. I link my arms with Ash and we all start to head out.

We reach the courthouse and there were people going in and out of it all over the place. I scan the crowd, looking for the two people that are probably going to be here as well today, but I didn't see them. Good.

We all step out of the van and slowly make our way to the inside of the courthouse. The amount of anxiety I have right now within me is at edge.

"Janelle Evergreen," I say checking in. The lady behind the desk looks through her computer and tells us to take a seat and that someone will be with us soon. About 10 minutes later and another young lady calls my name. We follow her to the room I guess I'm supposed to do my paperwork, but I was the only one allowed inside.

"So Ms. Evergreen, we just wanted to go over with you a few things and you will be all set to go," she says giving me a smile. I nod my head. "So you know that it's been about three and a half years Mark Weber, Ashley Donald, and your father, Jon Evergreen has been held in prison correct?"

"Yes."

"My records show me that you haven't visited them once since then. Care to tell me why?"

"I moved away." Yeah, I'm going to stick with the short answers.

"Is it because you were afraid of them?"

"No," I say glancing down at my hands. "It was just too much for me to handle. I just wanted a fresh start somewhere else."

"Do you feel that you would still be safe with them being released from prison?"

"How were they in prison?" I ask instead, and she begins shuffling through her papers.

"It says here that they had extraordinary good behavior. They followed their orders and didn't get into any fights."

"Does it say why?" I ask with a big lump in my throat. This is the only way I can tell.

"Surprisingly yes, well sort of. Some of the guards had asked them why they were so well behaved, and their answer was because it was a small way of righting their wrongs," she says looking over the papers in her hand.

"I guess it's safe to say then that I feel safe that they're being released," I say not meeting the lady's eyes. I won't be living with them anyways.

The lady nods her head, had me sign some papers claiming my statement, and calls someone, probably the person that was bringing out Mark, Ashley, and my dad. She excuses me out and I was met by the boys, Taylor, and Ash. Immediately I run into Louis' arms.

"Oh my. Ja-Janelle? Is that you?" Oh no. There it is. Her voice. I look to where the voice was coming from and sure enough my mom is down the hall, with CeCe and, I'm guessing, still her boyfriend Shawn. The shock was in all their eyes. She slowly starts to make her way towards me. No this is too soon.