p r e t e n t i o u s i n v i t e s

Start bij het begin

"When we were talking, he didn't mentioned you."

"Were?"

"I guess you haven't been in town lately, have you?"

"Look, whatever he said, he didn't mean it. My brother is an honest man. At times, he can become a challenging human being, but he is very kind," She added, blinking with a slowed pace. Possibly for dramatic effect.

"He didn't tell me that," I scoffed.

"He likes to make everyone happy without the recognition for the consequences and effects on others.."

"It's a bit too late for that. Anyway, how did you miss the headlines? My face was plastered in full print everywhere," I say, leaning against the metal cart I was easing down the aisle with her to follow.

"I've been out of the country. To be honest, I was supposed to be in Harry's place," She ambled beside me while her arms carried one of the plastic baskets to hold a smaller purchase scale. "But, I ran off, just like Abe."

"Abe?"

"Abe is our cousin, or the Queen's son. He was next in line for the throne but he fled to America instead. I was then forced into the spotlight. Aunt Marie can be awfully suffocating." Her hands stretched to grab a bag of crisps from the shelf of assorted flavors. How does she pick so easily without deeper context?

"I'm guessing Harry wasn't too happy about that," I broke in.

"Yeah. That's why he was a bit angry at my decision to flea. I've had the chance to return, but this year, I've decided to confront him. To apologize," She halted her steps, inhaling through her flaring nostrils. "What are you doing Christmas Day?"

"Well, my family isn't here so I normally drink hot chocolate and watch the snow fall. Why?"

"My mother gave me an invitation to the Royal Christmas Ball that day. I have a plus one, want to come?" She asked with her head tilted.

The risk of seeing Harry after my brutal denial and tantrum in front of the palace walls was absurd and nearly sickening. His fiancé wouldn't find herself happy to know I've been invited either. She'll make my evening into a bowl of despair with one look.

"Ah, I don't know..."

"Oh, come on. You probably won't even see him at all. He'll be with Aunt Marie most of the night for socialite reasons. It'll be fun," She attempted to persuade me, inching closer with tiny patters forward. "You know you want to. We can even go look for dresses today."

Vegas, she's right. It'll be incredible as opposed to your nights on that dreadful holiday of loneliness. Liam ships himself to Wolverhampton while Ashton flies to New York every year for the notorious Christmas tree with her boyfriend. Do you really want to be alone this Christmas? Again?

"Okay. I'll go," She squealed at my answer, latching onto my arm. "My name is Gemma by the way."

"I'm Vegas," I introduced, having her sashay down the aisle with my cart and frame to follow behind.

Oh, you and strangers, Vegas. Quite the party.

"There must be something in here that is beautiful enough to fit the occasion."

Gemma and I finished the grocery shopping to head towards a boutique her friend referred to her while she could visit London. The rear of the shop housed an excess amount of gowns for the right event. She had found herself wandering through the racks of my selected size, and preferable color that was appropriate for my skin tone. As Gemma professed multiple times, "My ebony glory should be suited in the perfect shade of confidence".

Her fingers flickered through the pieces, lunging random shaded dress over her forearm. She was concentrated to find something, and I felt almost out of place next to her presence with a hefty aura of pressure.

"Gemma, is that pink?" I could passively puke from the hideous color. "I said no pink."

"I know, but you would look absolutely fit in it," She mentioned, dropping her shoulders in a slouch. "Try it on, and I'll leave it alone."

She was not going to withdraw her claim until I fulfilled it to the full potential. I'm just trying on the dress, that is all that she is insisting.

"Trying it on, that's it," I held the dress within the plastic covering, hauling it over my narrow shoulders to the designated dressing rooms. I exerted the correct amount of force to push the door to creak its hinges.

With a swift turn, I fastened the door shut to focus my attention on the dress hanging from the golden rod.

"The faster you try it on, the faster you can rip it off," Gemma chanted from behind the door, "Or thank me for picking it out. Either one is plausible."

"Hush up," I teased, unzipping the cover to remove the quite breathtaking dress from up close. The embroidered stitching and embedded crystals allured my liking while the uplift bust could send me over the edge in appearance. The puffy chiffon skirt spread a few feet out, but it compromised nothing from the overall standings. 

Moments later, the material was clinging to my frame, displaying the curves that I've certainly hid from others. I opened the door to discover an anxious Gemma, eyes sinking in the appearance of myself in the dress.

"You look. . .so perfect," She muttered, gawking at how her fingers grooved to the touch of the patterns. "Come see, come see."

Her digits circles around my elbow, pulling me to the surrounding mirrors. I surrendered my denial of the dress being anything but perfect. Fingertips roam over my corseted waist, smile gazing at the image before me.

"So this is the dress?" She stated matter-of-factly, hand on her hip.

"Yeah.."

I've never felt so beautiful in my life, except when I'm with him.

. . .

okay, that was the double update! hope you all enjoy and i might add another chapter by next saturday, but who knows?

i will give you the picture of what vegas' dress looks like next chapters. for the visual people such myself.

tell me what you thought of the chapter. happiness is coming soon, so don't be worried! do you think harry and vegas will be together soon? any predications? comment them!

im at 15K?! you guys are so awesome! let's reach milestones together. wonder if we could actually rank? get those votes and comments in people! we can do this as a team!

so, don't forget to tell me your opinions and have a fantastic day my loves.

happy reading,
dani xo.