n a t i o n a l r e g r e t

a/n: hey guys. above are the outfits for both characters. this chapter will be sad..but trust me, it will get better for Vegas, eventually. the story has returned to vegas' point of view as well. for now, please enjoy. happy reading, dani xo.

c h a p t e r f i f t e e n

The voicemail left on my phone was abuse to the mind. His voice was raveled with melancholy, and a hint of dejection that I couldn't repair from the shadowed bedroom. I've been listening to the sound of him repeatedly, and with every try, the metaphorical knife digs deeper into my wounded heart.

My back was laid across the sheets, staring at the open ceiling where droplets of the winter downpour slid off to the factions I could no longer see. I had convinced myself that it was raining only because this weather was usual, not because of the heartache.

I haven't had contact with Liam in a few days; I avoided him yesterday at work, and he was left to eat lunch with Elise. I huddled my sulky salad inside of my office, closing the blinds and picking at the bitter lettuce.

As of now, I could be at late for work, but I don't really care. Trivial things don't seem to matter much. This was the one time I've allowed myself to fall in love, and it is suddenly pulled away from grasp. How would anyone feel in this situation? His voicemail repeats the love, but the lack of his presence illustrates otherwise.

Without a notice, the door of my darken bedroom swung open to reveal a cross Liam. He wore his usual attire of a suit, but his facial features were displaying signs of displeasure or even hostility.

"Liam? What are you-"

"Shut up," He snapped with a release of the door knob, "Why did you avoid me yesterday?!"

"Because.."

"Because what?! If you haven't noticed, I was there for you when that jerk Leo ruined your heart, and suddenly when you have another heartbreak, you think I won't be there for you again?!" He belted from pit of his vocal cords.

"That's not-"

"No, that is what it is. I am your best friend, Vegas. I will be there for you when the times get ugly, and frankly, it hurts when you do stuff like this," He trudged inside, his indignant face in tact.

Vegas Adele Black, you are a moron. How could you not recognize how much Liam has helped? Leo was the hollow hole in your life, and through that, Liam was by your side. No matter how naive I was, he convinced me that I was better off without that bloody jerk.

There was a still silence. Liam's breathes were steep like he ran a marathon to successful venture up the steps. Our eye contact was consistent, until my figure inched off the mattress, embracing Liam in a tight, resilient hug.

He was hesitant, but seconds later, his arms conformed to my torso.

"I'm sorry, Li," I murmured against his button up, "this time, it hurts so much worst.."

"Because you love him more than you intended to, right?" Liam's bittersweet prediction was entirely correct. I was, without a doubt, hopelessly in love with a man that can no longer be in life.

He is leaving for a suitable reason, right? His aunt, who did not hold a pleasant strand with me, is moribund, and her hopes of continuing a flawless reign are faltering as the city of Pompeii did thousands of years ago. With Harry's helpful spirit, he has no choice but to assist in her time of need.

"Y-Yeah.." I muttered against the satin material of his altered suit jacket. I bury my tear-stained face into his chest as if I could escape from this abhorrent sentiment. A nightmare, even.