n e w d a t e s

a/n: hello loves! i cant wait for you to read this chapter. :) things will turn up a bit for everyone, well mostly everyone. vegas' outfit above, and what harry would be wearing while on the phone in the last part. anyway, thank you and happy reading! - dani xo

c h a p t e r e i g h t e e n

Within the walls of a shattering, sentimental hospital room from the agonizing sleep, it is full of hopeless reaches for the intense, sharp brilliance. A windless tunnel without a way out. A purging sword through your worries that you can't soothe.

I could hear every word that they said; Ashton and her theories, Piper and her quivering voice, Liam and his sadistic crying, and Harry's begging did not go unnoticed. I wish not to acknowledge it, but it was there.

There was several times when I desired to scream and belt out the notion that they were heard, but my body did not allow it. It would not allow me to even breathe on my own. The tube down my throat was proof of that. I hated being under such an influence where I was unable to help, speak, testify to anything.

I've propelled the arrival of my awakening, driving into the metaphorical bright light that most graciously became the target. The push against the resistance lasted for a week, but by Sunday, my eyes had adjusted to the outside world, and I was no longer within the caged boundaries.

Ashton and Piper didn't notice it right away; their pupils were digesting the American phenomenon, Gray's Anatomy. Ironically placed on the television, I suppose.

It was only the accelerated sounds of my vital machine that caught their attention. I was excited for their recognition of me.

Piper noticed it first, the blistering noise shocking her out of her mid-day slumber in her uncomfortable position. Her eyes shot open, neck snapping to examine the room for any damages. When her eyes met mine, I could sense the smile that ascended onto her expression.

She leapt from the chair, her clammy hand grasping at my ebony digits.

"Vegas, you are awake...right?" She questioned, uncertainty clear in her vocal cords. "I hope I'm not still sleeping because this is too good!"

"I'm awake, Piper." My voice wasn't completely audible. The doctors had, of course, removed the tube, but the damage of having it within my throat affected my vocals. Greatly.

Ashton didn't take long afterwards. She overheard the conversation, and glued to my side with questions of my condition.

The nurse checked everything, double checking with a series of physical and medical tests then, secured the number of days that remained before I could venture home.

Oh, how I was glad to hear that.

. . .

"Self-worth, that's what people lack," Clarence complained, pointing his 'Rosemount Terrace' cap in my direction, "They don't understand how horrible it is to hurt others."

He is an awfully generous man. With a lot to offer to a conversation.

Whenever there was a chance for me to stammer away unnoticed, his words wrapped around my limbs and dragged me back inside his venomous trap of complaints of society.

Today, he touched upon the subject of the wrongdoing of my near death experience and with two days into my recovery, I have nothing else to think about. Besides food.

"Thank you for the comfort, Clarence," I trailed off with my groceries weighing down my wrists in agony from standing in one place for more than five minutes. "I have some ice-cream that needs the freezer."