"I repeat! the zombie bite is not what turns a human! we are all infected and will all turn from any death of any kind unless killed at the brain".

I waited for hours for my dad to get back, and when he did he didn't look so good. he was covered in dirt and blood but I didn't know if it was his or not.

"are you ok?!" I asked him.

"I'm fine, I got the medicine we need," he said holding out his backpack.

***one month later***

mom was dead.... when she got sick the medicine didn't do anything and she died in her sleep. she nearly got a hold of Sam. my dad had to put her down and give her mercy and ever since he's changed. he's barely spoken and when he does there commands. the cabin got over run so now where just in the middle of the woods.

foods been getting harder to find or come across. we haven't eaten in 2 days.

"Megan I'm hungry," San pouted holding my hand.

"I know Sammy, we all are," I told him.

"my feet hurt," he said.

"I know, I'm sorry well stop in a little while," I said.

we kept walking and suddenly it got really quiet. my dad held his hand up and we stopped and I let go of Sam's hand and held my bow up. a zombie came out of nowhere and jumped on my dad and I pointed an arrow at it but he got on top of it and I couldn't get a shot. he pulled his knife out and stabbed it before moving away.

"are you ok?" I asked.

"ya... I'm fine," he said quietly.

we continued on until my dad said we needed to stop and set up camp for the night. we where stopping kinda early but I didn't question it and started pulling out hammocks. we set up 2 hammocks just high enough out of arms reach and I helped Sam into the one we shared and he fell quick to sleep.

"Megan, come here," my dad said.

he was sitting against a tree, his face was pale and he looked tired.

"what's wrong?" I asked him.

he pulled his long sleeve up and revealed a bite mark to me.

"no..." I whispered.

water filled my eyes and flopped down next to my father.

"I need you to do it," he slowly said.

I shook my head, "I-I can't".

"yes... you can," he said, "I don't think I have a lot of time left".

"you can't turn, you can't leave us," I sobbed.

"get in my bag, please... and get my smokes," he asked.

I did and I pulled one out of the box and placed it to my lips and dug out my lighter. I lit it taking the first puff and coughed at the smoke.

I gave it to my dad and he breathed it in and then let it all out.

"pull out your knife," he told me.

I shakily pulled out my silver knife and held it in my lap.

"when I pass, I want you to take my bow, and keep your brother safe," he said.

I nodded my head.

"trust, only... your selfs," he shakily said.