2. coffee shop.

Começar do início

"we finished early. why weren't you at the cheerleading practice?" he asked and drummed on the cup with his nails.

"i fell and hurt my leg the last time, so i'm resting it." she mumbled and peered down at her leg.

"ouch." he scrunched up his nose and almost felt bad for her.

"since when do you come here?"

"since today. i was just walking by, and it looked really nice."

"uh huh."

cassie finished her drink and then crossed her arms together against her stomach. it felt odd to be sitting there with someone, but not bad at all.

"the cashier seemed to know you." he pointed out. she halfway turned around to look at her, and then sat straight again with a smile.

"right, melissa. she's nice." she uttered and folded her arms against the table.

"she asked if we're friends." he laughed and looked down at his lap briefly.

cassie's smile faltered a bit, and she bit on her bottom lip. she scratched the top of her chest and studied his face, not knowing what to do exactly.

"what did you say?"

"i said no. and that you don't like me very much."

"i don't really dislike you, matthew." she sighed and rested her chin against her arms, watched as he shot his eyes up back to her. "i have no opinion about you. i don't know what i think of you, so i don't know whether i like you or not. i just don't think i'd like you, that's why i don't want to hang out with you."

matt smiled and mirrored her position, squinting a bit with his eyes. what she said honestly made him feel a little bit better, but he still wondered.

"why? what picture do you have of me?" he asked and she licked her lips before speaking.

"we just don't seem to have that much in common. and i'm afraid you're gonna' turn out to be a real jerk like the other guys in your team. but i know deep down that you're not, so i don't know what my problem is." she grinned by the end and shrugged carelessly.

"wow. i can assure you that i'm not a twat. and having too much in common isn't always the best." he smiled and glanced out the window. "nice view."

cassie cracked a weak grin and followed his gaze, tapping the cup with her fingernails. she didn't need to nod to show her agreement — her expression told him that for itself.

matt tore his eyes back to her, admiring her profile for a brief moment. he licked his lips and looked down at his lap instead, until she gazed back at him.

"i always see something new every time i'm here. it's nice." she said quietly and blinked down and then back up. "i guess that's why i love this place so much. and for other reasons."

"like what?" he asked and sat more straight.

"like... one time i saw a woman who fell off her bicycle. i didn't expect another woman to come and help her, but she did. they walked off talking together. another time, i got to witness a proposal. it seemed like he had been dreadfully waiting for the right moment, but then just said fuck it, and proposed." she laughed a bit and then shrugged. "there's never a perfect moment, you know. you have to make it perfect yourself."