Forty-Four: Shut Up

"Don't cut my other ear off." Sophia joked, though her voice seemed serious.

"I've done this before, Sophia," I roll my eyes, "to you." I hear her huff as I drag the knife through her strawberry blonde hair and let it fall to the ground.

"Why, exactly, are you giving her a haircut?" Tara asked, watching as I clipped off the hair to make it even.

"Hair's like Velcro." I explain, "Get it too long, it can snag on anything. Walker or human can grab it, pull you back, leave you vulnerable. There." I tell Sophia. Her hair was disheveled around her chin, but feathered around her soft features. She puts on a small smile and I set to change her bandages. "You, uh, you might wanna look away, Tara." I tell her. Sophia and I both knew it was nasty.

Tara nods, taking the hint and strikes up conversation with Glenn. Maggie and Sasha went out on a patrol, so I guess she was trying to distract him from that. Carol and Abraham and Rosita were on watch in the loft, while Michonne, Noah, and Daryl were on watch through the windows. Carl was taking care of Judith and, as usual, Gabriel and Eugene were being useless. Big surprise there.

"Why do you hate Eugene?" Sophia asks me. "He seems nice enough. Weak, but nice."

She didn't know. She didn't know why Washington. I look at her a moment, debating on whether or not to tell her. "That's why." I tell her, "He's weak. He lied to us about something so important." I can't stress how important it was. "And...he was afraid and he lied."

Sophia looks at her hands and her hair circles her chin.

"Carl told me he loved me." She says. I smile.

"It's pretty obvious." I say a moment later.

She smiles, a blush creeping onto her neck. "And I told him I love him too."

"Like I said, it's pretty obvious."

She sticks her tongue out at me. "You and Daryl, huh?" She asks a moment later. Now it's my turn to roll my eyes.

"Yes, thank you very much." I tell her, popping the last syllable of my sentence.

"At least I got the sexy one of the group." She jokes.

"Do you even know what that means?" I ask.

She fumbles over her words before offering simply, "Pretty?" I laugh and her blush deepens. I then see her looking at Carl and Judy in the corner, obviously wanting to be there more than here. "Go." I tell her. She smiles, hugs me, and runs over to her boyfriend and Judy.

"You took my book from my cell, didn't you?" I ask Daryl before I saw him.

"What if I did?" He asks, sitting next to me.

"I'd question your sanity."

"Then no, I didn't." I laugh a little.

"Why?" I ask.

He shrugs, "Just looked through it and then hell broke loose outside. When I was out there..." He trails off, looking at the book sticking out from my bag.

"You saw the pictures?" I ask. He answers with a nod and I pull the book out. 

"Likeness was incredible." He jokes.

"Shut up." I roll my eyes. But the thing was, I was blushing. That was new.