Twenty-Two: Just A Kiss pt. 2

Sophia's POV
Carl was my best friend after the world ended and before Andie found me. He was always nice to me...even when Dad wasn't. I found out Shane was dead, and Lori. They were both good people...they didn't deserve to die, but the way Carl told me about Shane...the more I realized how people changed in this world.

I was helping Mom with the dining pavilion, dishing up food to hand out to those on their lunch break. I was known by name by everyone and I knew just about everyone's. It was nice to see a new face, but we mostly had the same thirty people.

"Hey." I heard Carl say. I looked up from the food and smiled.

"Hey. Done helping your dad?"

He shrugs, "I guess. Andie and I finished weeding. She's about to go on a run with Daryl and Glenn."

"What about you?"

"Got some time off." He smirks. I roll my eyes, trying to hide my blush. I'd started liking Carl in more of a...not friend way. Something more... "Wanna go do something?" He asks.

"Lemme ask." I say. Why didn't I just say no? I mean, I doubt Mom will let me go off on my own...I wish Andie was working lunch instead. "Hey Mom," I ask, "Can I go with Carl?"

She looks up at me, and seems to think about it, but answers, "Sure. Just stay in the prison." She says sternly.

"Thanks Mom." I was not expecting that answer, but hey, everything happens for a reason. Twisting the chain bracelet Andie gave me around my wrist, I followed Carl to wherever it was he was taking me. "What're we doing?" I ask him, following him away from everyone else. My hand automatically flies to the screwdriver in my pocket, but I simply rest it there, waiting for his response.

He turns around and says, "You and me...well, we've been friends a while now...and well...I wanted to give you this..." He digs in his pocket and pulls out a chain with something on the end...a necklace. "I...well, I found this after you were gone...and it reminded me of you and I...um..." He stumbles over his words.

I smile, and finding a boost of confidence, press my lips to his. He's surprised at first, eyes wide, but he kisses me back.

When he pulls away, he mutters, "Wow."

"Yeah...wow."

"Does this...?" He asks.

I nod, "Yeah...it does."

"Good." He says, "Then...I uh...I want you to have this." He clasps the necklace around my neck and I smile, looking down at the little 'S' pendant. "So whenever we're apart, if that ever happens, you'll have something to remember me by...deal?"

"Deal." I agree.