Ten: A Good Thing (Time Skip Too)

I heard the door open as I stared at my canvas, acting like I didn't hear him coming in. I smiled and began to write 'Ruby's Flower and Gift' in bright pink and white letters. I was making a sign for Ruby Jones, the local florist.

"Hey stranger." He muttered in my ear, lacing our right hands together. He brings my hand to his lips and kisses each of my knuckles.

"Lilies or roses?" I ask, smiling.

"What?"

"Lilies or roses. For the sign." I explain, pointing to the canvas.

"Why not both?" He suggests, pressing a kiss to my neck.

"Living up to your Mexican stereotypes?" I ask, sarcastically. He chuckles and brushes his lips against my neck.

"I love you." He tells me.

"I love you too."

|_|_|_|

I wake up with a start, a scream escaping my lips.

"Andie." Sophia woke up, sitting up quickly. Her hair flies into her face and she looks around the room before her eyes land on me. "What's wrong?" She asks, half awake, pulling her hair out of her face.

"Just...just a bad dream. I'm fine."

It'd been two years since the highway and since that crazy lady who took Sophia. Sophia was such a freaking beautiful fourteen year old, but we stayed on the move, within a fifty mile radius. It was...so long ago that all this started. It felt like a century, but really, it was only two and a half years...

"What was it?" She asks. We were sleeping in a small house, in the same bed, as always, only three miles from Woodbury. Maybe that was why I was so nervous, remembering about my past and all that bull crap.

"My past..." I sigh.

"And what happened?" She asks, rubbing her eyes.

"You wanna hear that sob story?" She chuckles.

"Yep." She mutters.

"Just remembering me and my boyfriend before this happened."

"What was his name?" She asks.

"Caesar." I mutter. "His name was Caesar Martinez. We uh...he used to work in construction. I was a painter. We uh...we split up toward the beginning...after Woodbury."

"Woodbury? Like Woodbury as in crazy woman who stole me?" She looks at me, shocked.

I nod, "I didn't recognize her...but she must've been from Woodbury..." I sigh, "Caesar and I found that place almost immediately after it started. We helped build it up. There was this architect and plenty of able bodies willing to work...we had a good group of good people...but the leader...this guy, Philip, who called himself 'The Governor'...he wasn't so good...as soon as I suspected him, as soon as I saw who he was...he turned everyone against me. But I left on my own free will. The last thing Caesar and I did was fight." I chuckle and rest my head against the backboard of the bed, "If I could change one thing, that would be it."

She doesn't say anything, but she rests her head on my shoulder.

"But, I'd still leave."

"Why?" She asks.

"If I stayed, I would've never met you, chipmunk." I bring the old nickname back. She chuckles a bit.

"I walked in, all the time, on my dad beating my mom senseless. I never understood why. But...he's dead now. And that's the important thing." She sighs, "I've given up on finding them, Andie...even if they are alive, they're probably a million miles away."

"We won't give up." I promise. "We just need to keep our eyes open." We sit like that a moment, before is say, "Get some rest. I'm gonna show you Woodbury tomorrow." I prepare to lay down.

"Really?" She asks. I know she wanted to learn about my past as much as possible, and I figured why the hell not. Could be fun.

"You're just gonna fucking leave then?!" Caesar yelled at me. We were in our apartment in Woodbury. I was packing and he was having a one ended fight up until now.

"Everyone is fucking against me!" I yell at him, "That asshat of a leader turned everyone fucking against me!"

"So your solution is walking away?"

"Yeah, it is. And I'd ask you to come too, but he's got you wrapped around his fucking finger!" I yelled.

He simmers for a minute, ruminating in his own anger, before he asks, "You really don't know a good thing when you see it?"

"Obviously not! Thought you were good. See where that brought me." I mutter before tossing my bag over my shoulder and slamming the door behind me. I flip the apartment door off before kicking it. "Asshole!" I yell at him.