Eleven: Distance

We saw the smoke before we saw the town. And the closer we got, the more we saw the flames erupting, consuming the numerous buildings around the area. I didn't think this place would fall and I'd live to see it, but I was thankful. I was right. The Governor led them to hell.

I could only imagine what Philip did to those people...those innocent, stupid people. He probably killed every single one of them, all for some petty, stupid reason. I kill the engine to my car and step out, watching the flames dance. I can hear geeks trying to touch the fire, only burning themselves to death. Some walked right past us, a mixture of both the fire and the guts ever present on our clothes and skin.

"Woodbury." Sophia muttered. We watched it burn just sitting on the hood of my car. Neither of us were expecting that, and hell, it wasn't so bad. Survival hasn't been easy, but this was our lucky break. Sophia suddenly held her middle finger out to the flaming town. I looked at her a moment, surprised. She was such a kind, gentle girl, minus the fact she carried a gun and killed cute animals and geeks without looking back, along with the occasional psycho human. She'd never even cussed around me, I don't think. This was a little much a little fast.

But I simply looked at the town and took a bite of my jerky stick before doing the same and flipping the town off.

Watching Woodbury burn, I felt a little bit of weight being lifted from my shoulders, almost like a burden was being removed, as if the world was removed from Atlas' shoulders. I smiled and laughed, watching hell burn in front of me.

"Fuck you!" I yelled at the stupid town. Sophia laughed and I knew then that everything was going to be alright.

|_|_|_|

"That was my first time flipping something off." Sophia stated as we were walking down the road.

"I never would've guessed." I muttered sarcastically. "I mean, you've never cussed around me and you are little miss perfect fourteen year old geek slayer."

She rolls her eyes, "Whatever, Andie." She smiles, so I know she's joking. "Now," she begins, "Never have I ever...kissed a guy." That's a great way to pass the time, and we do it all the time. I mean, what else are we supposed to do on the days that drag by and the long, sleepless nights?

"Guilty as charged." I laugh. "Of course I've kissed a guy, I mean, hello, I'm sexy as hell." She laughs. It feels good to hear her laugh. She hasn't really done it in a while... I continue, "Never have I ever won a game of soccer."

"Really?" She asks, honestly surprised.

"Believe it or not, I was not the best at sports. I was a painter, Sophia. And neither were the kids on my team." I joke.

"Ok, ok. I won soccer bunches of times. I was on my peewee team." She thinks a moment, "Never have I ever gambled in a casino."

"Me neither. Didn't have money to gamble on, unless you count the Powerball tickets." She chuckles. "Never have I ever sang a love song to someone."

"Never been in love." She says in a 'duh' voice. "Never have I ever been to..." Her eyes widen as she looks and she mutters, "prison."

"Me either." She doesn't break from her trance and simply stares in front of her, slightly to my side. Soph, you ok?" I ask, looking at her and snapping in front of her nose. She points in front of her, slightly to my side, and there it is. A prison. It's down the road a ways, but you can still make out the fences and the walls and everything, all the geeks outside.

"Wanna check it out?" She asks cautiously after a moment of complete silence, almost as if she really didn't want to do it. I bite the inside of my cheek.

"What do you think? Could be useful...but God only knows how many geeks are in there."

"Might actually be people, though." She shrugs. "I say we go for it. I mean, from a distance at first...but...we should try and see if they're friendly...not like Woodbury or anything...but they can help us."

"We don't exactly need help, Sophia."

"What if my mom's there?"

Of course she played that card. I roll my eyes and breathe out, "Fine. From a distance."