Twenty: In Retrospect

Hi guys! So this is the chapter where Daryl and Andie get closer and maybe a little romantic spark will occur. Thanks so much to everyone who's voted and commented! I appreciate it so much! Love you all!

I would like to say the past two months have been exciting. As if there were some steamy romance going on or maybe Daryl and Tyreese getting in an argument or something. That's probably something I miss about being alone. Things got boring out here. Out there, I had things to do, things to see. All I see here is four walls and a fence. Along with the occasional pig crap.

I sometimes work in the farm with Rick and Carl, and occasionally Sophia, but mostly, I go on supply runs or out hunting. It's the only way I can get out of the confined hell known as my safety.

I'm taking it for granted. I really enjoy my time here. I'm with Sophia, and believe it or not, I enjoy the company of about half of the people here. Granted, those people are mostly kids and the adults are mostly stupid, I tend to stay away from the extremely stupid ones.

The 'not-so-bad-can-have-a-decent-conversation-with' people are, of course, Sophia, Carl, Rick, Daryl, Michonne, Carol, Glenn and Maggie. Hershel and I talk pretty often too, but he reminds me so much of my own father...it really hurts. Carl and Rick and I got really close because we spend at least eight hours a week together under a scorching sun. Daryl, Glenn, and I go on runs often. Daryl and I are the only two who go hunting, but it's not awkward...most times. Carol and I bonded over Sophia, and Maggie and Michonne and I are just...friends.

Today, though, I was trapped working in the scorching heat with nasty, shit covered pigs and dirt. It wasn't so bad. Not as bad as walking around with guts all day long. This is probably the best I've smelled in months. And I say that as I'm covered in sweat and dirt.

Carl and I were pulling weeds while Rick attended to his pigs. Lavender had just given birth to piglets yesterday, thanks to Hershel and his fake leg, and they were little bundles of joy. Hint my sarcasm. Four more mouths to feed and Lavender still didn't understand how to exactly be a mom.

I fell on my ass at least three times pulling out the really big weeds, which Carl laughed at me. He and I have gotten close, of course, and we've gotten to that point where we can be like, 'ha, you fell asshole.' and still be cool with one another.

And finally, we were done. The kid gave me double high fives, and that turned into a sweaty hug, which could've really been worse, in retrospect. There are people here to hug...

"Hey, uh, Andie?" He asks awkwardly when we pull away. "I found this a few months back, before the prison..." He digs through his pocket, "Reminded me of Sophia, so I...I kept it. I been thinking and I want to give it to her...but I don't wanna look stupid." He shows me a small 'S' bronze necklace, a circle engraved with the monogram "It might be kinda stupid...so I wanted your advice first."

"I'm sure she'd love it." I smirk at the awkward young boy, "She likes you too, Carl. Ask her out." I say, setting a hand on his shoulder. "Or as out as you can get."

He smiles and stuffs the necklace back in his pocket. "Thanks." He says.

"Andie!" Glenn suddenly calls from the guard tower. "You, and and Daryl on a run?"

"Sounds good." I call back, cupping my hands around my mouth. "Duty calls." I tell Carl. He looks nervous. "Just be yourself and you'll be fine." I assure him.

"I don't think being myself is the best idea..."

I roll my eyes, "You'll be fine." I saw Sophia helping Carol serve lunch in the dining pavilion. "Lunch break." I tell him, pushing him toward the building. He shoots me a dirty look, but I smile and approach Rick. "Howdy." I tell him.

"Howdy yourself." He jokes, "You and Coral finished up?"

"Yeah. Your boy's something else, Rick." I smile, "He's gonna ask Sophia out, I hope. Got her a necklace and everything."

"That's what you two were talking about?" He asks.

"He's been thinking about it a while." I say. I look over to them and see the kids talking over the counter. "I better get ready to go on the run." I say.

"Recruit or supplies?"

"Both, I guess." I shrug, "Glenn didn't exactly specify."

"Be safe."

"Always."

I meet up with Glenn and Daryl over by the vehicles. We'd brought my car in a few weeks ago, and I still can't believe the old piece of shit is still running.

"Yer goin' in that?" Daryl asks me. I look down at my clothes and shrug. I was in shorts and a tank top, but I'd be fine. Hell, I'd worn less than this and survived on my own.

"I was plannin' on it." I tell him, looking back at him. I squinted, trying to keep the sun out of my eyes. "Problem?"

"No problem." Glenn interrupts, smirking at Daryl, "Truck or bike?" He asks me.

"Bike." I smile, adjusting the gun on my belt. Daryl gets on first, and I'm next. Glenn starts up his truck, and we're golden on the way out. We ride for a while, just letting the wind guide us. Daryl was in this ugly ass poncho that looked like a Native American took a shit on it. That was something we joked about often, but he made it work...sort of.

Underneath that, he didn't have on much more than me. He had pants and boots, but he had a tank top and this angel wing jacket, exposing all of his arm porn to the world. I mean, damn...

I had my arms wrapped around his waist, and that was usually a pretty normal thing, but today, he seemed distracted...a little unnerved, more on guard. I didn't think much of it, but it still bothered me some.

When we finally reached the convenience store, we raided everything from top to bottom. We got a pretty good load, food and water, along with some meds.

"Jackpot." Glenn muttered, pulling everything into his bag. I smile, glancing over at Daryl. I look back at my bag almost as quickly and pull more things into my bag.

In retrospect, it was stupid to 'like' nowadays. Like...like like...closer to love than anything else. It's stupid, I know...but I think I like Daryl. He's kinda cute...in his own dirty redneck arm porn kind of way.

In retrospect, it's stupid to feel anymore, but here I am, feeling for an entire group of people I barely knew two months ago.