Fifteen: Coucil

I regret telling Daryl anything.

He went and called a council meeting the day after, and I happen to be leaning against a library desk right now, where they seem to meet as their 'Government'. I'd been through this shit before. I just wanted out, but they wouldn't let me without a fight, and neither of us wanted that. I cross my arms and watch as four people bicker it out on what to do with me whilst I'm standing there.

I hardly listen to them. All I can think about is why the hell there's a library in a prison when they couldn't even give nursing homes decent service. But, that's before. Not my problem anymore.

From where I'm standing, I can see the back of the head of a guy who resembles Santa Claus, the profile of Carol, Sophia's mom, the front view of a black woman, and Daryl sitting on the corner chair backward, resting his hands on the table.

"I say we let her go." The black woman says, "No need to call a meeting for this when she wants to go."

"Sasha, you and I both know eventually that's a death sentence." Carol stated bluntly, "No matter how long you're out there, it gets worse."

"Where's Sophia?" I ask.

No one responds.

"The girl wants t' leave. Let 'er."

"Daryl, you spent months looking for that little girl." Santa man says.

"Exactly. I went lookin' for the little girl." He claims.

"We should put it to a vote." Sasha says. "I say we cut her loose."

"Hey, council members, where's Sophia?" I ask, uncrossing my arms and walking over to the table.

"I say we keep her here." Carol states, "She saved my daughter. I need to repay that however I can."

"I'm right here y'know?" I ask, placing my hands on my hips.

"Let 'er go." Daryl says, putting his hands on the back of the chair, "Not our choice to make." If he was just going to let me go, then why call a meeting?

"We keep her here. She's valuable. She knows how to survive."

"Where is Sophia?" I ask for the third time.

"It's a tie." Sasha sighs, "Let's wait until either Michonne or Tyreese get back. Whoever gets back from their runs first will be the deciding vote. Agreed?"

"Where in bloody hell is Sophia?" I ask them, placing my hands on the table. I was a little pissed, if they couldn't tell.

"What is it?" Sophia asked from the doorway. She was actually...clean. We'd both taken showers and they'd given us fresh clothes, which I was thankful for. At least I didn't smell like guts anymore, but sadly, that had to be one of my problems. If I was gonna get out of here, I'd need my 'protective layer'.

"Where have you been?" I ask, turning to face her.

"Just catching up with Carl." She says. She shouldn't have been alone, not without supervision or someone...but it wasn't my call to make anymore.

"We don't need Michonne or Tyreese." Sasha suddenly claims, "Let's let the girl choose."

"Choose what?" She asks, her eyes widening, "She didn't steal anything, if that's what you mean."

"She wants to leave, hon." Carol says.

"What?" Sophia asks, anger and confusion evident in her voice. I avoided her eyes and sighed, leaning back against the desk. "Can we talk?" She asks. "Alone." I shut my eyes and nod, stepping outside with her. "You want to leave?" Her voice is almost shrill as she doesn't try to hide the hurt.

"I was gonna tell you..." I start.

She interrupts, "When? After you left?"

"Sophia, you know I can't stay in one place for too long."

"You said we'd find my group. That things would be better. You said not to lose hope." She says.

"And I didn't lie." I say calmly. "We found your group. Things are better for you. And I never let you lose hope. You were my priority, Sophia. You were my only priority."

"There are people from Woodbury here." She says, "I talked to Mom. They stopped the Governor, Andie. They're strong. Please. I...I can't lose you." Tears threaten to leave her eyes. Woodbury? People from Woodbury are here? I didn't see anyone I recognized...

I hug her and rub her hair, resting my chin on the crown of her hair. "This is your home, chipmunk. Not mine."

"Please. Andie, please, we can make it work. Please." She begs, refusing to let go of me.

I hear the council talking inside. What are we gonna do? She could be dangerous. She saved that little girl. We owe her...I owe her.

When I look at her, all I see is a mature, beautiful, strong woman, not the shivering, lost girl I met in the woods.

"You need a haircut." I mutter, looking at the long blonde hair running down her back. It wasn't safe. It would get caught in anything and everything.

"You can have a life here, Andie. Start over...meet people. Maybe love again."

"I love you." I tell her. "And I usually think love is stupid." I kiss the crown of her hair, rubbing her cheek with my thumb. I didn't care what some council had to say. I was leaving.