23 // Get in Loser, We're Going Shopping

Start from the beginning

     My eyes darted away from the mocking grin that was devouring his face, refusing to entertain his words for the sole reason that any sliver of conscious I'd been able to keep all these years was cringing away at his honesty.  Because it was true, I was armed with backpack and wallet, waiting on my porch steps for the past fifteen minutes just in case Tyler came early, and I was totally freaking out about hanging out with him. Alone. And had essentially sold out my best friend, again, to get there.

     But the ground rules. Those were what were important.

     "It's not my fault," I insisted with a grumble, shrugging and pulling my jacket tighter around myself. "It's those cheekbones. I never stood a chance. It's science."

     Reese opened his mouth to respond with some probably smart-ass remark, but was interrupted by the groan of an engine and Tyler's familiar, beat-down car climbing up beside the curb. The window rolled down to reveal Tyler's grinning face, and I felt my nerves ignite.

     A smile tugged on my lips as I waved over, pointedly ignoring Reese's flailing next to me.

     Tyler slammed the card door shut before jogging up the driveway, wearing a fitted jean and plaid shirt ensemble that was what my dreams were made of. "Hey guys, sorry, I didn't mean to be late or anything. Hope you weren't waiting too long."

     "Dude, it was like forev-"

     "We weren't waiting long at all!" I cut Reese off, wearing a fierce smile. "But no point in wasting any more time, let's go! Bye Reese!"

     When I shot up, I could see a grinning Reese in my peripherals, but refused to entertain him any longer. I didn't even want to begin to wonder what was happening in his head- tolerating him was enough trouble as it was, and really, it didn't even matter

    What mattered was that I was going on a full-blown date with Tyler and Reese was going to be far, far away where he truly belonged. 

     Tyler paused, those blue eyes falling to Reese who, irritatingly enough, had yet to disappear. "Oh, Reese, did you want to come with us? I know that you're coming on the date anyway. Might as well all get something, right?"

      Despite the fact that Tyler was smiling so innocently, I could feel my eyes begin to narrow, burning. My jaw clenched. I froze.

     No.

     "Well, you know, I-"

     "Reese is busy! Aren't you Reese? Reese is just all booked up today, and can't bring himself to make it. I know. It's heartbreaking, isn't it? Well, goodbye Reese!" I began pushing said boy over towards his house where he should've been all along, being the life-ruiner that he was, away from me and my almost-date. And if I accidentally dug my fingers into his back as a slight warning, well, that was his fault for not staying far, far away in the first place.

     "Are you sure, Reese?" Tyler asked, and bless his beautiful face, he really needed to shut up.

     "Actually," Reese said, grinning cheekily as he managed to escape from my hands. "I think that I can move some things around, free up some time right now. Wouldn't that be fun, Stella?"

     "Just one notch below a root canal on the scale of fun."

     "Well then, it's settled," Tyler said, as if anything had actually been settled, and clapped his hands together. "Reese is coming with us."

     I blinked. "I- what? Wait, who-"

      Reese gently pushed me forward, a soft chuckle resounding behind me. "We're going clothes shopping, Stella! Aren't you excited?" Excited for homicide. "Shot gun!"