11

Grayson

I couldn't remember going to sleep or ending the party, so I guess I didn't.

But I did exactly what I had planned to. To just lose it. I had probably hooked up with a few people, but I didn't care.

Maddie

I remember hearing the loud music pounding through the walls all night, not letting me rest.

I remember panicking for most of the night, because I never got a text or call from my Dad and Skyler, until he texted me early in the morning saying he had to leave early for work.

But I also remember staring at my phone for the whole night, reading all of the hate comments I kept on receiving.

When was it going to stop?

And when was Kylie going to stop?

Her silent treatment was enough, but it was too much when I came home from Lucky's walk the next day to find her and Nick making out on the couch.

I snapped.

"WHAT THE FUCK?!" My chest was burning and there was a big knot in my throat.

I couldn't show them I was hurt.

They sprang away from each other, not making eye contact with me. They didn't say anything either.

Right there on the spot, I forced myself to not care. I shouldn't have. He wasn't my boyfriend anymore.

"Actually, carry on." I spat, "It's not my problem anymore."

I picked Lucky up and ran to my room. Once I was safely locked up in my bedroom, I collapsed onto my bed.

I wasn't sure my ex best friend was supposed to hook up with my ex boyfriend.

I could feel tears spilling down my cheeks and onto my pillows, staining the soft cloth.

Lucky curled up to me when he heard my stifled sobs. I decided to use a technique my dad had showed me when I was younger.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

I repeated those actions, but nothing happened.

This shit doesn't work. I thought in frustration.

I decided that the only place to calm me down would be at the beach. I left Lucky some food and water in his two bowls and sneaked out the house, not daring to look into the living room.

Soon enough, I was lowering down on the soft, white sand. I shoved my shoes to one side and allowed my toes to dig into the warmness of it.

Placing my hands behind me, I leaned on my arms. Staring ahead of me, I could see the golden sun setting on the sea horizon, turning the indigo sky the colour of pink roses and peaches.

I breathed in the salty-sea air and listened to the soothing ocean waves crashing over each other in small waves on the shore.

When I was sad, confused or angry and didn't have anyone to talk to or be with, I would always settle down on this part of the beach. It was my little corner that I had discovered when I was younger.

No one walked across the area; it was completely deserted, which gave me the tranquil sensation. If I sat a little further behind me, I would be surrounded by sand dunes where green plants with purple flowers grew.

It was weird, but it was mine.

I started to feel my eyelids get heavy and drop down. My breathing was back to normal, and all of my other emotions had disappeared. It felt like I was the only person on earth, enjoying the approaching night.

Suddenly, I heard the green plants rustle behind me. I snapped my head towards them, seeing nothing. There was no wind, not even a slight breeze.

The plants moving wasn't just a coincidence.

"Hello?" I raised my voice, leaning up.

No answer.

There was someone clearly there. I turned my head back around, and as soon as I did, the rustling noise came again.

"Is anyone there?" I asked again.

But this time, there was a small giggle.

My heart started to beat faster by the second, and I got up, moving closer to the dunes, to where the sound was coming from.

As I approached the plants, I saw someone, a figure.

But the remaining light revealed the face with another step I took.

I jumped back to see Grayson staring back at me, crouched in between the plants.

"What the fuck," I managed, putting my hand over my heart. He didn't reply, but he stood up. "How did you know I was here?!"

His purple shirt was inside out, and he was wearing one shoe without a sock and his other foot was completely bare.

Something wasn't right. The way he walked over to me; stumbling over his own foot and swaying his arms around.

There was this tiny piece of me that wished for him to sit with me and just talk for hours, about nothing. That tiny piece of me wanted him to hold me in his arms and listen to what I had to say.

But I knew that wouldn't happen. It wasn't only that I hated him (or so I tried to convince myself), it was that he probably didn't like me either.

I hadn't actually thought about it, but it dawned on me. All those awkward moments and the fact that he dated Kylie. To make me jealous! He was using me when he kissed me, twice. He probably thought it as revenge for all the hate I was giving him.

I thought he was different when I looked into his pleading eyes the day before when I asked him if we could talk.

But I was clearly wrong, when he reached for my arm, pulled me close to him and breathed out: "Hey, baby. You wanted to talk?" His breathe smelt strongly of vodka.

"Leave me alone," I yanked my arm out of his hand angrily, "You fucking jerk." I crossed my arms across my chest, frustrated. He just moved from girl to girl.

"I'm not a jerk, baby." he whispered and took hold of my hips. I shoved his hands off my waist before he did anything else and grabbed my shoes, running from him.

I ran because I didn't want the strange feeling in my stomach to develop. Every time he said 'baby', I would feel a few butterflies fluttering around my stomach.

I knew exactly what the feeling was. And if I wasn't quick enough, I would soon be falling for him. And it gives me the chills to even think about it.

Because, wouldn't any girl be?

----

this chapter is shorter but I might be double updating today :)

vote to find out what happens!🍿

peace🤘🏻